Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Help - I've fallen and I can't get up!!

Most of us know this phrase and it usually brings a smile to our face.  The product that is being sold by this phrase is a devise to alert someone for help – because the person that has fallen is completely alone.  Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 gives you a solution better than the “Lifeline Medical Alert”.  It is called a friend!!

 

“Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work:  If one falls down, his friend can help him up.  But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!  Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.  But how can one keep warm alone?  Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves.  A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.”

 

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’ve come to believe that being independent and self sufficient is cool.  Being dependent on others, showing vulnerabilities, crying or wearing my heart on my sleeve shows weakness.  I’m learning that independence really just leaves you alone – and lonely.  It also leaves you vulnerable to danger.  When we isolate ourselves, we can easily believe the lies that fly around in our head and spiral down into a dangerous place.  With a friend, we can talk about what scares us, what we struggle with and together we are stronger to fight the lies and grow spiritually together.  Other benefits are getting a good return on our work – and keeping warm……

 

Any time I have opened up to a friend and shared my struggles & failures, it has been a great experience.  My fear of being rejected hasn’t happened.  In fact, just the opposite – we have actually become closer.  Satan knows that isolation is an effective tool for him – don’t let him have that tool.  Take a chance, call a friend, share a struggle.  My bet is they have struggles as well.  Next time you say “Help, I’ve fallen and I can’t get up” say it to a friend.  You won’t be disappointed.

 

Sheri M. Wills

 

No comments:

Post a Comment