Saturday, September 7, 2013

September 7: You cannot outsin God; you cannot outgive God

Song of Songs 5:1-8:14
2 Cor 9:1-15
Psalm 51
Proverbs 22:24-25

Outsinning God

In my life, Psalm 51 has been one of the most powerful prayers ever.  When I have been frustrated and discouraged because of some repetitive, habitual sin, one I seem just incapable of overcoming, no matter how hard I try, When I am frustrated with myself, when I am unable to forgive myself of the "sin...always before me", I am reminded of His "unfailing love" and "great compassion"; I am reminded that I can still cry out to Him for a pure heart, a steadfast spirit, for the strength to be sustained amidst challenge and trial.  The price of this forgiveness?  Not anything I can buy, but rather a recognition of my sinfulness and a desire to change - things I already have, the very things that are causing me to despair over myself.  

Outgiving God

"Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously."  How easy to think of this only in terms of tithing and other charitable giving.  But this principle goes far beyond that.  When I lost what, at one point, counting travel, a 90+ hour a week job, I realized an area I had grievously neglected for so long - family; in particular my wife and - at that time - my 12 year old daughter, who had gone without husband and father for the most part the previous 12 years.  Was it any surprise my daughter was distant, and I didn't understand her?  Was it any surprise my wife and I were so unfamiliar with each other?  Was it any surprise my sons didn't want me to come pick them up from school now that I had the time?  I love my wife and children, and have had to find a new way to express that love...no longer work, pay and the goodies we can buy, but time, conversation and activity together.  Not because I have to - after all, "God loves a cheerful giver" - but because I want to.  

The same is true for the work, the goods and the time we tithe to our Lord.  And the amazing thing is, when we give, we cannot outgive God, who returns what we have given so much more abundantly.  My parents constantly remind me of this, of how we should continue to tithe even when things are tight; and God reminds me of this with how much more wonderful the relationship I have with my wife and children is today.

No comments:

Post a Comment