Monday, September 16, 2013

Monday BlogPost (9/16/13)

Monday, September 16, 2013 [A New Normal]

Galatians 2:17 – 3:9

 

I was very reflective yesterday after the message and this morning as I read the Scriptures.  I have been thinking and thinking about the "turning points" that Pastor Scott mentioned yesterday and how in a moment life can change and a new normal is birthed.  One example is the morning of my wedding.  One minute I was a single guy (an "I") and the next minute I was married (an "us").  It was a glorious day, the honeymoon was amazing, and about a week later I woke up one morning and realized the new normal – "I" had become an "us"!  There was another person to think about, to care for, to make decisions with, etc.  I wasn't prepared for this step – I was too used to only having to think of ME.  Now, I was going to have to pick up my underwear and leave the toilet seat down (among other things).  Everything was changing. I had to begin to think of how who I was and what I did would affect US.  My life as a single guy…died.  (Glory to God!!)  This was one of the great turning points in my life.

 

"I have been crucified WITH Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me.  The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me" (Galatians 2:20).  Paul is trying to persuade Jewish Christians in this particular community to no longer enforce the ritual of circumcision on new Gentile believers.  These Jewish believers were forcing their traditions on people who simply wanted Jesus. They were having a hard time letting go of their old life and ways.  I've been there before…many of us have…most of us still are, in one way or another.  The old ways are comfortable and familiar.  The question that we have to ask ourselves is this:  how is the old way working out for you?  Is it making you better or bitter?  Are you growing or are you groaning?  Is your life stellar or stagnant?

 

"Consider Abraham: "He believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness" (Gal. 3:6).  The way to align our lives with God is through faith, an active faith.  Abraham believed God to the point of leaving his peaceful homeland and traveling to an area where life would be difficult.  This was a place where Abraham would have to trust God for everything.  This is where God is calling us.  It's a new normal, a life of faith.  To get there we have to "die" to the old ways.  Holding on to the old ways is NOT faith in Jesus.  And, if it's not faith in Jesus, then what is it?

 

Lord God, every day and every moment of life that You give to us offers us an opportunity for a turning point.  Help us to turn in the right direction.

 


--
"The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace" (Numbers 6:24-26)
Kenny Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment