Monday, July 15, 2013

Monday Blogpost - Psalm 11 [Protection]

Monday, July 15, 2013 [Protection] – Psalm 11

1     I trust in the Lord for protection.  So why do you say to me, "Fly like a bird to the mountains for safety!
4     But the Lord is in his holy Temple; the Lord still rules from heaven.  He watches everyone closely, examining every person on earth.
7     For the righteous Lord loves justice.  The virtuous will see his face.

The events of the recent days in Sanford, Florida have called for the country to reflect deeply on many different things.  Some question the legal system and cry out for justice.  Others maintain that justice was upheld and cry out for the nation to move on with life.  Some have determined that the best way to defend one's-self is to have a firearm at the ready. And yet there are others that have committed their protection to the Lord, much like this psalmist.

I lived through a troubling event similar to what happened in Sanford.  It happened back in April of 1990 when an African American teen in my hometown of Teaneck, New Jersey was shot and killed by a white police officer.  Riots and protests ensued – people were angry.  The event divided the town instantly and changed the entire community forever.  Since the officer was acquitted and exonerated at the end of the trial, many of us young black teens had a fear of police officers, the very people we should have trusted to protect us.  This was a real fear.

Before my brother or I would leave the house, my dad and mom would remind us:  "Keep a prayer on your lips."  They recognized that we were going out and needed protection – protection that they couldn't provide for us.  But they knew that God would protect us; that if we called on Him He would answer (Isaiah 65:24).  They understood the name of the Lord to be a strong tower that the righteous run into and are safe (Psalm 18:10).

Twenty-three years later I can say with confidence that "I trust in the Lord for protection."  Not knowing what tomorrow may hold in store for me, "I trust the Lord for protection."  I need the Lord to protect my heart, my mind, and my body.  I desperately need to abide under the shadow of the Almighty because the reality is that our world is a violent place.  But with all of this world's violence, "the Lord, Who is in His holy temple, still rules from heaven."  There is not a thing that occurs that is outside of God's ability to control.  He watches over us and knows everything that happens in our lives (Psalm 121:5).  My faith compels me to believe that "God's got this" as well as everything else that concerns us (Psalm 138:8).  

Lord, help us to humbly trust You for our protection.  Since You see everything, and rule over everything, give us the courage to trust You with everything and to receive Your peace.  In Jesus' Name – Amen!

----
The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous man runs into it and is safe. (Psalm 18:10, NIV)

The LORD himself watches over you! The LORD stands beside you as your protective shade.  (Psalm 121:5)

I will answer them before they even call to me. While they are still talking about their needs, I will go ahead and answer their prayers! (Isaiah 65:24, NLT)

The LORD will work out his plans for my life--for your faithful love, O LORD, endures forever. Don't abandon me, for you made me. (Psalm 138:8)


--
"The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace" (Numbers 6:24-26)
Kenny Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment