Tuesday, July 9, 2013

July 9

1 Chronicles 7, 8
Acts 27:1-20
Psalm 7
Proverbs 18:22

"The man who finds a wife finds a treasure, and he receives favor from the Lord."
Proverbs 18:22

I was pleasantly surprised when I read today's Proverb because yesterday was our 13th wedding anniversary. Travis and I were only 20 years old when we got married and had no idea what we were in for or what our future was to bring. But one thing I know for sure is that God has been there, protecting us and holding us together every step of the way. It has not always been easy. We've struggled through financial difficulty, misunderstandings, disagreements, disconnectedness. But despite all this, I can confidently say that I have been greatly blessed by God through Travis. With this Proverb, I definitely believe that same goes the other way around as well: A woman who finds a husband finds a treasure as well. 

I started to think about real-life love stories of couples who have been blessed by God through their marriages:

- Travis' parents Jim and Terry, who got married 3 months after meeting, celebrated their 39th anniversary last week. They have kept God at the center of their marriage and God has held them together.

- Urban Steinmetz (Travis' grandfather) was studying to become a priest. His plan was to devote his life to the church... until he met a woman named Jeanette Hockers who changed his mind. They married, had 6 children, and devoted the later part of their lives to helping others build Christ-centered marriages.

- Mary and Dave Hagen (my parents) who have been married for 37 years. I can clearly see how the trials in their lives have done nothing make their faith in God and in each other stronger.

- Loren Etka (my grandfather) who takes care of my grandmother Armelene day in and day out. She has Alzheimer's disease and can't do anything for herself, so he does it all for her. 

I thank God for my husband and for the example of other Godly marriages in our lives. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment