Thursday, July 25, 2013

2 Chronicles 11-13:22, Romans 8:22-39, Psalm 18:37-50, Proverbs 19:27-29


2 Chronicles 11-13:22, Romans 8:22-39, Psalm 18:37-50, Proverbs 19:27-29

Romans 8 is one of the greatest chapters in the Bible. I had a pastor who challenged many of us to memorize it. I didn't, but one day ill take up that challenge. I have reread this passage a few times over the last couple days and praying for wisdom. D and I have been on an adventure the last few days and I am ever so thankful. We are traveling roads and lands and I wonder which of the apostles did the same. Paul has been on my mind so much and I am excited we are reason through Romans.

Paul, the author of this letter to the people of Rome, suffered so much because of Christ's name. We know from 2 Corinthians 11 he was shipwrecked, beaten, arrested, and unaccepted by the people of the land. It's hard for me to think how a man who went through so much hardship could write the words of verse 28, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Now this is not magic wand verse that I have seen thrown out in the last. Just because you love God doesn't mean that life is going to be perfect an great. We all know this to be true.

I want to point out a few things I have learned about this verse by looking at the words:
1. God is WORKING in our lives. He is always in control and always sovereign. I remember a pastor saying how, "There is nothing in our lives that surprises God. He never does anything as a reaction to what we have done. He has already orchestrated every moment, every millisecond." He is always at work.
2. All things. This is the good, the bad, and the ugly. This is the beginning of marriages, the failure of marriages. This is the hard eucharisteo (being thankful for the hard things in life) we face. Cancer, loss of jobs, children walking away from God, loss of retirement plans. All things is also the great things all around us: fresh figs, red flowers, fresh cut grass, grandma making tortillas. All things.
3. God is working in the lives of THOSE WHO LOVE HIM. Love. This may be the same love (agape) that sent Jesus to the Cross. A sacrificial, unconditional, consuming love. How in love are we with God? I know what live is as a wife, a daughter, a sister, a best friend, an enchanted love...I know I love God but I pray that I love him the way he loves us. I pray I love others the way he loves others. It is a love that we see a few verses later in 38-39. A love that can never be broken, or separated. Like Paul we can be convinced. It is a love only found and demonstrated in Jesus Christ and what he did on the cross.
4. Called according to his purpose: predestination as we see in the verses after. But I do believe that God is sovereign and that he did choose us before time. He is Omniscient....he know all things. At the end of it all, we have a purpose and that is to glorify Him. He has a plan for us and he brings all this together for His will and his purpose.


Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment