Wednesday, July 17, 2013

I Chronicles 24-26:11, Romans 4:1-12, Psalm 13:1-6, Proverbs 19:15-16

I Chronicles 24-26:11, Romans 4:1-12, Psalm 13:1-6, Proverbs 19:15-16
 
            I don't consider myself very musical, but there is always a song going on in my head.  Many times D will ask me what I'm thinking about and I will start singing him a song…then he will smirk and roll his eyes at me.  He calls my music "Nikkie music" that many of you have never heard of.  One of my favorite indie folk musicians is Neko Case.  I have dragged my loving husband to her a shows a couple times.  The best part is that I will sometimes catch him whistling one of her songs (even when it's against his own will J )  When I am feeling whiney at home and need attention, this song will echo in our home,
"And when we're older, and full of cancer
It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
'Cause nothing lasts forever
But I will always love you
 
Don't forget me, please don't forget me
Make it easy, only just for a little while
You know I think about you
Let me know you think about me too"
 
Psalm 13, written by David,  is a song dedicated to God and divided into three parts.  It starts out as a heart heavy cry of loneliness and anxiety.  "How long…" is asked four times.  David is struggling with a feeling of separation from God, that he is absent, His voice is not being heard by David.   He expresses a battle against himself, and his thoughts.  It is a battle against an enemy.  As I mentioned, he questions God, for "how long???" 
 
In verse 3 the tone shifts from desperation to seriousness…a prayer.  He calls on to God with a heart of petition.  He asks for answers, but he also asks for "light to my eyes."  He prays that his eyes may see.  He shares his concern with his enemies.  This is a heartfelt prayer that continues to change.
 
He concluded this short Psalm with confidence and praise.  He declares he will TRUST… not that his enemies will be overcome, that justice will be served, or that protection is there.  The one thing that David truly trusts is God's UNFAILING LOVE.  This creates a heart that REJOICES in God's salvation….being saved by God.  He reacts by singing to the LORD because he has been GOOD to me.
 
The last five days have looked much like the first part of this Psalm.  Question to God..looking for His presence, looking for His face, and we have all wrestled with our thoughts, sorrow in our hearts, and sorrow in our streets.  Our own enemies have triumphed.  We ask God, "How long will this go on?"  Maybe God is asking us, "Are you willing to wait?"  We must ask God to transform these thoughts that we wrestle with into thoughts of prayer and petition.  As Christians, as the body of Christ I pray that at the start and end of everyday we trust in God's unfailing love; That our hearts rejoice and that we will sing.   I have included a song by Shane and Shane that captures this Psalm.  The verses are these words put to music.  The chorus that they have added at each break is a declaration, "I will wait on You." 

http://youtu.be/P87pOV-tdq0 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment