Saturday, July 20, 2013

July 20 - Wisdom and Knowledge


2 Chronicles 1:1-3:17
Romans 6:1-23
Psalm 16:1-11
Proverbs 19:20-21

I think of knowledge as being in possession of information, of truth.  I think of wisdom as understanding the information and truth one possesses, and recognizing  their consequences and implications.  In this regard, knowledge is not transformative, wisdom is; knowledge can leave us static, wisdom calls us to action.  If I know that winter is coming, but do not understand that the weather can turn brutally cold, then I am unlikely to make sure I have warm weather clothing.  If, on the other hand, I understand the temperature can be life threatening, then I will go through my closet to make sure I am prepared.

This is what struck me about Solomon's request.  Many Israelites who had come before Solomon possessed the knowledge of God's existence, yet it did not stop them from erecting Asherah poles and worshiping other gods.  Solomon asked for both wisdom and knowledge - the possession of the fact that God existed, and the recognition of its consequences and implications; he asked God for a transformative mind.  He wanted to always know the truth, especially of God's existence, and he wanted it to guide his life, his actions, his leadership.  

The consequence of his request?  God granted him wisdom - and because his mind and his heart were first on God, God gave him abundance elsewhere as well.  Because he could put God first, God knew He could trust Solomon with other blessings and Solomon's focus would remain on the giver, not the gifts.  The Psalm today could very well have been written for Solomon's mind and heart - "I say to the Lord 'You are my Lord; apart from You I have no good thing."

I don't know about you, but I don't handle prosperity and peace very well.  However much I may know that the gifts I enjoy have come from God, my mind gets comfortable with the gift, with the sufficiency, with the calm, that it becomes complacent, and I find myself much more susceptible to temptation and sin.  I pray for the wisdom Solomon asked for and God granted, a wisdom that will focus on the giver, not the gift; a wisdom that will transform the knowledge of God's generosity into action in my life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment