Friday, January 25, 2013

January 25th 2013

'Six days later Jesus took Peter and the two brothers, James and John, and led them up a high mountain to be alone. As the men watched, Jesus' appearance was transformed so that his face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as light. Suddenly, Moses and Elijah appeared and began talking with Jesus. Peter exclaimed, "Lord, it's wonderful for us to be here! If you want, I'll make three shelters as memorials —one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah." But even as he spoke, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and a voice from the cloud said, "This is my dearly loved Son, who brings me great joy. Listen to him." The disciples were terrified and fell face down on the ground. Then Jesus came over and touched them. "Get up," he said. "Don't be afraid." And when they looked up, Moses and Elijah were gone, and they saw only Jesus. As they went back down the mountain, Jesus commanded them, "Don't tell anyone what you have seen until the Son of Man has been raised from the dead."' (Matthew 17:1-9 NLT)

I guess I never quite got the significance of this passage. I think I am starting to understand it now. Jesus decides that he needs some alone time with his top three students, to perhaps get away from the crowds, or at least I think this might be their thought. When they get up to the top of the mountain, two of the greatest hero's in the history of Israel appear before their eyes. I'm sure amazement and wonder don't even come close to describing what is going through their minds. Jesus is here, along with two of the greatest men to ever walk on this planet....

Think of it this way. 'Peter, James and John, you are the next contestants on the game show "Who Is Greater," Wednesday's at 11am on CBS.' The point of the game show is to rank the three leaders, Moses, Elijah and Jesus. Peter is the first contestant to step up to the plate..."uh..., this isn't fair?.. Maybe all three?.. Let's build all three of them shelters...." Let's see what he's won, Johnny....the voice of the judge comes out of the sky and says "This is my dearly loved Son, who brings me great joy," and the other two choices disappear. God needed to show these future leaders of the Jesus movement that Jesus is far greater than any man that had ever stepped foot on this earth. Jesus and Jesus alone. Jesus wanted these men to know who they were dealing with, to get rid of any doubt. Jesus is greater far than any other person, ever! I am not so sure that the most important part of "the transfiguration" is even that Jesus is transfigured. I think it might be the change of his three top student's view of him that is most important.

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment