Thursday, January 24, 2013

Genesis 46 – 47, Matthew 15, Psalm 19, Proverbs 4:14-19

Genesis 46 – 47, Matthew 15, Psalm 19, Proverbs 4:14-19
 
            I know I'm a day late, but as I'm writing this in my kitchen, the sun is shining in, I have hot coffee next to me (espresso roast) and I know what I want to say…yesterday I didn't.  Yesterday was a very busy, packed day, and I came home exhausted, I did my reading last night on the couch, fell asleep by 10:30 (even though Divan gave me "ojos" as we call it, because I had not blogged.)  He graciously let me sleep.  This morning I met with two wonderful friends and we talked and we prayed.  I shared some of my struggles and what my relationship with God was like and what I want/need/focusing on this year.  My word/concept/theme for the year of 2013 is "faith" and everything that can be formed from that: faithfulness, faithful, loyal, devoted, etc.  This is what I am working on in my life and my heart.  This will extend and geared towards God, my husband, my family, my dear sisters, and my friends. 
           
            Last night when I was reading the passage, I was drawn to Matthew 15:8-9 because it can be a reality in my life, but this morning it was the end of this chapter that got my attention (verses 22 – 28.)  Let's set up the scene:  Jesus with his disciples (great men of "faith"), Jesus has been teaching and is traveling, Jesus just confronted the Pharisees (teachers and spiritual leaders of the "faith") and Jesus just slammed them for their hypocrisy…not the greatest guys to piss off.  The woman, a Canaanite woman (meaning not a Jew…a woman not of "faith," a Gentile, unclean, from the outside) comes to Jesus with her problem.  Her daughter, her flesh and blood, is suffering from demon-procession.  This is how she acknowledged Jesus: as "Lord, Son of David;" she knew who Jesus was and she knew where he came from.  First request:  "Have mercy on me."  Second request: "Help me."  They continued I'm sure for only a few more moments and Jesus declared her to all that were near by, "Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted."  She went to Jesus because he was a Healer, a Healer of the heart and physical ailments.  She asked for both (indirectly.)  Because of her faith her daughter was completely healed.  Because of her faith, I believe her heart was healed.  Jesus saw her faith and called her faith "great."  I wonder how many times he called Peter's faith "great."  The disciples were all with his at this time and they were the ones who had the smallest amount of faith at one time or another.     
 
            My prayer for myself is that I will one day be recognized as a woman of great faith, but I know that it is a way of living and trusting.  I know that I have to deny myself daily and take up my cross.  I know that I have to be faithful in the Word.  Practically, I want to be a better wife, a more faithful friend, a faithful daughter and sister.  I'm a messy work in progress, but I have examples that I can learn from.  This Canaanite woman is one of them.  She was a loving mother, worried about the well being of her daughter, but I believe she was also came to Christ worried about the well being of her heart and her family's hearts.  Jesus showed mercy on them and healed them.  We must be faithful.  We must learn what it means and how to live it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment