Thursday, January 17, 2013

Genesis 32:13 – 34:31, Matthew 11:7-30, Psalm 14:1-7, Proverbs 3:19-20

Genesis 32:13 – 34:31, Matthew 11:7-30, Psalm 14:1-7, Proverbs 3:19-20
 
            I was talking to a very close person to me Tuesday night and she was very upset.  She has had a journey of working hard, with love for what she does, dedication and patience.  She was very disappointed and bummed because she got passed over for a job/position she wanted and deserves…unfortunately this is not the first time.  I didn't know what to say to encourage her or give her advice.  I just listened and told her how proud I am of her and how much I love her.  Yesterday I did our reading and Jacob and Esau's story made me think.  Now we all know that I am not a scholar, or that I don't know the right answers.  I really hope that I'm not stretching Scripture, but this was on my heart. 
           
            We have read through the story of Jacob and Esau over the past week or so.  We know that Jacob is the chosen and a holy man in the Bible and God uses him in mighty ways.  We also know that he is far from perfect and the relationship between these brothers is filled with deception, cheating, and lies.  Jacob had many reasons to fear for his life.  After Jacob had worked for Laban for many years, having wives and many children, Jacob knew it was time to return "home" and establish himself.  He knew he needed to face his brother and to live out the promises of God.  The part that stuck out to me was the timing.  Many times Jacob attempted to leave Laban and many times he asked to leave.  Laban always managed to keep him a little longer which we see as being very selfish and greedy.  But we know that God is sovereign, and wise doing everything for a reason…all for His glory.  When Jacob was getting closer to Esau's territory he was very scared, anxious, and nervous, going as far as dividing his people up so they all wouldn't be killed….that some maybe spared.  This is true fear!  But we also see God's grace and mercy through Esau's forgiveness and changed heart.  Makes me wonder if it took all those years for Esau to forgive.  Maybe if Jacob had returned earlier, disaster and anger would have happened between the two brothers.       
           
            Yesterday morning I called my sweet friend and tried to encourage her with the story of Jacob and Esau.  It's all about God's timing and sovereignty.  He always has a plan for us, and He has where He needs us to be.  Even though she has put endless years, blood, sweat and tears in the place and position she is at, God is not finished with her there.  Maybe she needs to wrestle a little too.  Maybe God is going to use her in a way she doesn't know.  Maybe God is working on someone else's heart and it's not as tender as it needs to be yet.   It's hard when we ask God When?? Why??  Please God??  And we don't get the answers we want or we don't hear anything at all.  But I know we can have hope and comfort that He is there and He knows what he's doing.  I also know easier said than done, but that's where faith and strength comes in.      

No comments:

Post a Comment