Thursday, January 24, 2013

January 24

THURSDAY, JANUARY 24, 2013

Genesis 48:1–49:33

Matthew 15:29–16:12

Psalm 20:1–9

Proverbs 4:20–27



Today’s reading prompted reflection on the following themes:

 

1.                   Trusting in God’s direction and provision.

 

“Some trust in chariots and some in horses,

                but we trust in the name of the Lord our God.

They are brought to their knees and fall,

                but we rise up and stand firm.”

Psalm 15:7,8

 

Today’s reading from the Psalms strikes a hopeful tone, reassuring the believer that God will preserve his best interests.  While many people trust in the world’s trappings, the Christ-follower should lean wholly upon the Lord God, confident in the promises of Romans 8:28,29; Philippians 1:6; and Hebrews 13:5, among others.  God promises to persevere on behalf of His children, who will have the desire to pursue Him consistently as part of their calling.

 

The Psalms may provide the Bible’s rawest look into the vagaries of the human experience, ranging from deep, relishing joy to confident assurance to white-knuckle fear to downright despair.  As my circumstances mirror these themes, I often find myself thinking of a passage from the Psalms or a praise song in order to reflect.  During times of doubt and struggle, I turn to Psalm 34:18:

 

The Lord is close to the brokenhearted

    and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

 

 

In looking for protection, I turn to Psalm 3:3,4:

 

But you are a shield around me, O Lord;

    you bestow glory on me and lift[b] up my head.

To the Lord I cry aloud,

    and he answers me from his holy hill.

 

 

For chastening during a racing life, Psalm 46:10: 

 

“’Be still, and know that I am God;

    I will be exalted among the nations,

    I will be exalted in the earth.’”

 

 

For underscoring the beauty of His presence, Psalm 73:23–26:

 

“Yet I am always with you;

    you hold me by my right hand.

You guide me with your counsel,

    and afterward you will take me into glory.

Whom have I in heaven but you?

    And earth has nothing I desire besides you.

My flesh and my heart may fail,

    but God is the strength of my heart

    and my portion forever.”

 

 

In searching around during a challenging time, I came across a pastor’s blog, where he wrote:  “There are no disasters if we are seeking after God’s will.”  Put another way, God will not derail us from His plan, even if the circumstances seem disastrous.  From Romans 12:2, we learn of His “good, pleasing and perfect will.”  In these challenging moments, may we look first to the Lord Jesus, asking, “How would You have me handle this situation?  What do You desire me to discover here?”

 

Through His Holy Spirit, we will have “streams of living water” (John 7:37–39), allowing us to “rise up and stand firm” to meet challenges for today and tomorrow.  Lamentations 3:22,23 encourages us – and leads to the beautiful hymn “Great Is Thy Faithfulness”:

 

“Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed,

    for his compassions never fail.

They are new every morning;

    great is your faithfulness.”

 

 

2.                   Protecting against the lie’s infiltration

 

Jesus explains in Matthew 16:8–12:  “Aware of their discussion, Jesus asked, ‘You of little faith, why are you talking among yourselves about having no bread?  Do you still not understand?  Don’t you remember the five loaves for the five thousand, and how many basketfuls you gathered?  Or the seven loaves for the four thousand, and how many basketfuls you gathered?  How is it you don’t understand that I was not talking to you about bread? But be on your guard against the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees.’  Then they understood that he was not telling them to guard against the yeast used in bread, but against the teaching of the Pharisees and Sadducees.”

 

In Proverbs 4:20–27, we read:

 

“My son, pay attention to what I say;

    listen closely to my words.

Do not let them out of your sight,

    keep them within your heart;

for they are life to those who find them

    and health to a man’s whole body.

Above all else, guard your heart,

    for it is the wellspring of life.

Put away perversity from your mouth;

    keep corrupt talk far from your lips.

Let your eyes look straight ahead,

    fix your gaze directly before you.

Make level paths for your feet

    and take only ways that are firm.

Do not swerve to the right or the left;

    keep your foot from evil.”

 

 

In both passages, we quickly glean that we must take an active role in incorporating wisdom into our lives and shunning the world’s lies.  Sometimes, these lies stare us boldly in the face, stirring our consciences and allowing us to flee like the young man Joseph from Potiphar’s seducing wife.  Other times, however, these lies prove much more insidious, creeping into our minds over time and wearing down our defenses.  We must guard our hearts through active means.  We must cling to the truth of God’s Word and avoid the filth.  As you reflect on daily situations, I encourage you to sort through the truth and the lies.  You might consider the following questions:

 

a.       What do the Scriptures have to say about this matter?

b.       What truths must I uphold in this situation?

c.        What lies are trying to take me off course?

d.       How may I remove these lies and avoid their further spread?

e.        What may I do in order to build more truth into my life surrounding this topic?

 

 

May we partake joyfully of the fresh fruit of wisdom.

 


QUESTIONS

1.       How may you rise up to meet today’s challenges with God’s help?

2.       How may you guard your heart in relation to today’s inputs?


________________________________________
1) Blog:                  http://bit.ly/rV1Cw1

2) Facebook:        http://on.fb.me/tc6jkS

No comments:

Post a Comment