Tuesday, January 15, 2013

January 15

Genesis 31:17-32:12
Matthew 10:24-11:6
Psalm 13:1-6
Proverbs 3:16-18

~Genesis 32:3-5~
Jacob sent messengers ahead of him to his brother Esau in the land of Seir, the country of Edom.  He instructed them: "This is what you are to say to my master Esau: 'Your servant Jacob says, I have been staying with Laban and have remained there till now.  I have cattle and donkeys, sheep and goats, menservants and maidservants. Now I am sending this message to my lord, that I may find favor in your eyes.' "

About fourteen years ago, I had a disagreement with a very good friend of mine. One thing lead to another and this disagreement turned into us not speaking to each other for four years. I still remember how angry I was at her, how "right" I was. I felt like I couldn't let her get away with what she had done. Four years went by before I started to look at how I had contributed to the conflict. I felt so foolish that I had turned my back on my friend... and for what? Pride? Because I had to be right? Enough was enough. I wrote her a letter asking for her forgiveness. Thankfully, she did accept my apology and we've continued our friendship ever since. Looking back on the years that have gone by since we reconnected, I am grateful that we got a second chance. She has been supportive of me and my family through difficult times (my brother's divorce, my mom's depression) and I've been able to be there for her (her house caught fire, then her father past away a year later). I have not regretted for one second that I pushed aside my pride and reached out to my friend. 

Reading about Jacob reaching out to his brother Esau made me think of my friend. Jacob had not seen Esau in twenty years. They certainly did not part on good terms. Their relationship was filled with deception, greed, jealousy, and hatred. I admire what Jacob did. Despite their history, he reached out to his brother and asked for him to find favor with him. (Tomorrow we will read about how Esau responds.)

I want to encourage all of you, if there is someone in your life that you are in conflict with or estranged from, honestly ask yourself if there is anything you can do to make peace with them... even if that means swallowing your pride. Romans 12:18 says, "If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone." If there is someone you are in conflict with, no matter what the reason, God wants us to do everything we can to live at peace with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment