Saturday, November 24, 2012

November 24: Acts 9:32–12:25

‎(Posted on behalf of Jon Lanuza)
SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 24, 2012
Acts 9:32–12:25

Today's reading struck me for two different reasons. First - every time I read about Peter and how God uses him, I cannot help but think of the man who denied Jesus thrice - and remember, with relief, how God forgives the sinful and uses the repentant. This man was stubborn, was filled with pride and bravado, but at the moment of testing, he failed and fell away. I can almost imagine other disciples questioning his commitment to the Lord, questioning why they should listen to him, questioning why God chose to use him.

It isn't for me to question why God chose to use Peter. Instead, I take encouragement from Peter's repentance and the forgiveness he received, and I take the strength I need to serve the Lord however He might ask, in the face of the naysayers who question - rightly! - my worthiness to serve Him, because of my sinfulness. The truth is, like Peter, I am unworthy to serve in our Father's kingdom...it is only by His grace, because He permits it, that we are able to do so.

The second reason today's reading struck me was how God makes clear salvation is not just for the Jews, but for everyone prepared to receive Him. I don't think Cornelius's baptism made him a Jew (did it?). Cornelius remained a Gentile - but a Gentile who had a relationship, a life-transforming relationship, with Christ. I struggle to believe Cornelius's life was unchanged after his baptism; I think that, as he got to know Christ further, that knowledge continued to transform him and how he lived his life.

Perhaps, then, we might consider saying a prayer today - one of gratitude for God's mercy despite our sinfulness, one of willingness to be used the way Peter was, one of joy to receive His call and get to know Him, and one of submission to the transformation getting to know Him will mean.


________________________________________
1) Blog:     
http://bit.ly/rV1Cw1

2) Facebook:  http://on.fb.me/tc6jkS

No comments:

Post a Comment