Friday, November 9, 2012

Friday, November 09, 2012 - Zacchaeus

Friday, November 09, 2012
Zacchaeus

The Gospels are covered with miraculous healings performed by Jesus.
Yesterday, we even saw Jesus raise a man from the dead. While these
miracles are raw visual displays of Jesus' deity and love for
humankind, none is Jesus' greatest miracle. In fact, miracles of
healing and dead-raising can also be performed by the AVERAGE
CHRISTIAN (well, this is how it should be, but many of us in Western
culture, including myself, lack faith – God, increase our faith), for
by Jesus Name, we have been given the "authority to trample on snakes
and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy." (Luke
10:19) But there's one great miracle that not even we can perform –
that miracle is salvation. We can't save ourselves or anybody else.
Only God has that power. This is why I'd like to focus on the miracle
of salvation as shown in the story of Zacchaeus today.

Zacchaeus was a "chief tax collector and was wealthy." (Luke 19:2) If
you recall, tax collectors were despised during this time because of
how they deceived people in the nations under the rule of the
tyrannical Roman government. Tax collectors were required to raise a
certain amount of money for the Roman government and anything they
raised over that amount was personal profit. Zacchaeus being a wealthy
man, and perhaps the richest man in Jericho, illustrated the worldly
riches tax collectors gained through extortion. Not to mention
Zacchaeus was the "chief tax collector," which means he managed other
tax collectors and encouraged their corruption. In other words,
Zacchaeus was the most hated man in Jericho.

Yet when Jesus came to Jericho, before a huge crowd of people, Jesus
said, "Zacchaeus….. I must stay at your house today." (Luke 19:5) Of
all the people in Jericho, Jesus chose to grace the biggest cheat in
the town with His presence. The people, who didn't understand God's
love for all people, even swindlers like Zacchaeus, exclaimed, "He has
gone to be the guest of a sinner." (Luke 19:7) Overwhelmed before the
face of God's infinite love, Zacchaeus said to Jesus, "Look, Lord!
Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor, and if I have
cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the
amount." (Luke 19:8) Wow!!

I can remember a time when I'm sure many people looked at me much in
the same way that people looked at Zacchaeus. Like Zacchaeus, at my
worst, I'm sure people saw me as a greedy, lustful, no good, cheater,
liar, and betrayer. It was then that God called me by name, "Anthony,"
just as he called Zacchaeus. "I want to be with you," God told me.
"Me? Really? Me? But I'm such a mess and I don't deserve you," I said.
"I love you the mess that you are – nothing you've ever said or done
could stop me from loving you – I've always loved you and will always
love you," God said. "God, because of your unfailing love, I want to
change. I don't want to walk in darkness anymore. I want to walk in
the light. I want to walk in your goodness," I said. This response of
mine was similar to Zacchaeus' response to give to the poor and pay
back fourfold those he had robbed.

Even better, was God's response to a repentant heart; "Today salvation
has come to this house, because this man, too, is a son of Abraham.
For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost," (Luke 19:9-10)
Jesus said to Zacchaeus. Salvation is the greatest miracle. Salvation
is a gift from God. This gift is an everlasting legacy for those who
can admit that they have fallen short of God's glory and receive Jesus
Christ as their Lord and Savior, just as Zacchaeus did. I encourage
you to receive this gift from God today. For those who have already
received this gift, I encourage you to walk in its truth, for the
truth has set you free.

God Bless,
Anthony


PS: Another great theme in Zacchaeus' story is how God changes our
identity to align with His. Zacchaeus, in Hebrew, actually means "pure
and righteous one." Before Zacchaeus came face to face with God, he
was undoubtedly living in opposition to what his name meant.
Nevertheless, God found Zacchaeus, and called forth that man that He
created him to be, a "pure and righteous one." God calls us all forth
to walk in His light. By God's grace, God changes all of our
identities to one that brings life. Again, I encourage you to walk in
this freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment