Thursday, November 1, 2012

Matt 10-11 ish, Mark 6 ish, Luke 9 ish

Matt 10-11 ish, Mark 6 ish, Luke 9 ish

If you open up my Bible or any of the journals I have had over the last 10 years, you will always find the same image. It's repeated in journal notes, and will soon be drawn on page 1401 in our chronological Bible. The image is an outline of my left hand with 2 words written in each finger, one word in English, one is Spanish.  I will never forget a message I heard from a great and Godly man in Mexico City named Felipe Vazquez.  He is a loving father, husband, fellow barista and coffee lover, cake maker, generous friend,  pastor, and church planter. He is a man who has molded me into who I am today through his example and passion for Christ and as you can tell I care for him and his family very much! 

In 2003 Felipe gave a sermon based on some of these verses, reminding us as Christians what we need to focus on in our lives and especially in our prayers. The image of the hand is a tool to help us remember the 5 H's (and in Spanish it is the 5 C's.  it is so perfect that it works out like that!) In our path and walk with Christ we remember: 
1.  The Harvest
2. Heaven 
3. The Highways 
4. The Home/House
5. The Heart

As I read the passage yesterday, I put my "H words" to the side and was pretty pumped that this was exactly what Jesus was talking about. 

1. The Harvest: it is here and ready. We need to be in prayer for the seeds that have been planted and will be planted in the future. Pray for the workers (that means you!) that we would be many. Our family, neighbors, strangers, people we don't even know yet, are ripe for the picking! Or maybe they need to be cared for and nurtured in Christ's love. Pray for the harvest. 

2.  Heaven: As Scott preached on Sunday, Jesus came with the message of the kingdom. We need to be focused on the kingdom and know that is the goal... The finish line. Be prepared for it. 

3. The Highways: Jesus sent the disciple out 2 by 2. They went all over and to many places. Some accepted, some didn't. We need to pray for the highways and roads that are ahead if us and those are on now. Pray for the people we will meet, the challenges ahead (that we may be thankful) and that we will be simply be willing to GO! 

4. The Home: this is a given. Joshua 24:15: As for me and my household, we will serve The Lord. We all pray this. I know I do. I pray that my home (and family (present and future) would serve and love Christ. I pray and am reminded that we should use our homes for the glory of God. The disciples journeyed from town to town depending on the hospitality of others. Many, MANY of you did the same this week. It was so awesome to see the emails, messages, and call of those who offered their homes to others during this crazy week. Thank you. You bless me and others. 

5.  The Heart: guard your hearts. We are like sheep among wolves. Guard your hearts. I can't say that enough. We know how ugly this world is, but I fight and battle it. I sometimes tell Divan how much easier I think it would be to be in the world. Sin sin sin. I fight it.  We will be tempted, deceived, threatened, and alone sometimes. But I remember my other H..Heaven. 

My friends. I hope you draw a hand somewhere and remember these H's just like Felipe challenged me a decade ago. Teach them to your kids. be in prayer. Guard your hearts. Like Jesus sent out the disciples 2000 years ago, we are being sent out everyday. Don't go out unprepared or alone. We have 2 months left of reading and it is time to sprint. 

No comments:

Post a Comment