Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Growth of the Early Church Acts 3 – 6:7

Growth of the Early Church   Acts 3 – 6:7
 
Peter and John were on their way to the Temple just doing their thing.  Nothing big, no big card board signs saying "Jesus Loves You," no bumper stickers, or no bells and whistles.  Not to say any of that is wrong, but I see an image of Christ and what it means to be a follower of Christ in this passage.  These men lived and knew Jesus, are now leaders of the Early Church and great missionaries.  They met a lame man on the way – a lonely, rejected, poor, man.  He spent his life begging for whatever he could get, carried here and there, and if you ask me, this sounds miserable.  He asked Peter and John for money and he received more than he ever thought. 
 
Peter's first reaction was with words.  He didn't just check his pockets and say, "Sorry man, I don't have any cash on me," and keep walking.  Instead he gave him a name: Jesus Christ.  All it took was a name and the faith behind it.  The next move: an action.  Peter held out his hand.  This simple action is what it took for this lone crippled man to react to.  At one time I needed someone to extend a hand to me.  Someone had to say that name to me.  The man's reaction?  Dancing, leaping, and PRAISING God.  Another soul added to the kingdom.  Angels rejoice. 
 
I'm convicted at the example and life of Peter and John.  In the short time they spent with Jesus, they learned how to imitate him and follow him.  As Christians we are challenged to do the same.  The biggest way they did this was by being BOLD.  They knew His message and they were not afraid to share it.  They told a lone beggar and they told the masses.  This light was able to shine from them and seen by many.  This is so so hard for me to do.  I do not consider myself a bold person at all.  I know that I'm more of a softer light that a lighthouse.  I am fearful of what others will think of me and in my insecurities I value approval.  True story.  I'm challenged by Peter and John to be this image of Christ and to be bold…to extend my hand out, because someone is begging to grab it. 
 
I love this illustration that Charles Spurgeon gave his congregation in the year 1855 on what it means to be an image of Christ.  He said,
"The best advice I can give, seek more of the Spirit of God; for this is the way to become Christ-like. Vain are all your attempts to be like him till you have sought his spirit. Take the cold iron, and attempt to weld it if you can into a certain shape. How fruitless the effort! Lay it on the anvil, seize the blacksmith's hammer with all you might, let blow after blow fall upon it, and you shall have done nothing. Twist it, turn it, use all your implements, but you shall not be able to fashion it as you would. But put it in the fire, let it be softened and made malleable, then lay it on the anvil, and each stroke shall have a mighty effect, so that you may fashion it into any form you may desire. So take your heart, not cold as it is, not stony as it is by nature, but put it into the furnace; there let it be molten, and after that it can be turned like wax to the seal, and fashioned into the image of Jesus Christ.   (http://www.spurgeon.org/sermons/0021.htm)
 
We must seek the Holy Spirit…the one who dwells in us.  With sin our hearts can be cold…useless in the advancement of God's kingdom.  We must submit to the Refiner's Fire that we may be reshaped to His image.  This means surrender, prayer, the Word, and falling in Love with the name and person of Jesus Christ.  Be bold.  I pray to be bold.

No comments:

Post a Comment