Tuesday, September 4, 2012

September 4: Daniel 3

Daniel 3:16-18
Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego replied to the king, "O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king. But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up."

I think that this is one of the greatest examples of complete faith and trust in God. Shadrach, Meshach, and Abendngo were facing certain death. King Nebuchadnezzar told them they would be thrown into a furnace if they did not worship him. These men knew God's law and they knew that worshipping the king would be sinning against the God they loved. They refused to obey the king because he contradicted what was right. Their courage was unbelievable because they stood before the most powerful man in the world and confidently told him they would not disobey God. Their faith was incredible because they believed that God would save them from an impossible situation. To me, the most amazing thing is their trust. They knew what was right and they knew that God had the power to save them. But even if He did not, even if it meant their death, they would still only worship God. Wow.

Do I trust God enough to say that even if I don't get what I want, I will still follow Him? I think it's safe to say that I will never face the same danger that these three did. But can I say that even if I'm hurt, disappointed, let down, embarrassed, scared, confused... that I will still do what is right? Will I say that God is still God even if I'm "thrown in the furnace?" I pray that we all will trust God like that. With Him on our side, we can face a fiery furnace and not waiver.

No comments:

Post a Comment