Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Haggai

Not gonna lie, but I have been struggling with a few things the last couple weeks. My heart has not been in a place where I want it to be an it has take a toll on me spiritually. I have been kinda dragging my feet with my Bible reading, but someone must be praying for me out there cause after reading Haggai this morning, I'm feeling pretty pumped! Never thought I'd say that about Haggai, a minor, minor prophet and I'm sure for many of you this is your first introduction to him. As always when I do my reading I look for the character of God, His Promises, and how it applies to me.

We see the Jews back in their Promise Land with the purpose of rebuilding the Temple - God's dwelling place. The foundation has been laid bringing joy and mourning for temple that was destroyed, but there is hope for the future of this nation. We see God not very pleased with His people (again) cause they are not focusing on God (again). God is hurt, offended, and upset that His house has been neglected while the Jews build their own homes, lives, and communities. They are a self-focused society, perhaps just trying to keep with the Jones. Sound familiar? How about today? We are the temple. At this moment in Israel the foundation has been laid, now the walls, the roof, the decorations need to be complete in order for God to dwell there again. In our own lives the foundation has been laid with Christ. What are we doing to build and keep the structure intact? I'm convicted in my own life. God commands the people to collect timber in the mountains (not the easiest task I'm sure) to build. What is God's timber command in our lives? How are we building? Maintaining? The Word, memorization, fellowship, ministry in the church and outreach to the community...sounds like building material to me. Remember you are the dwelling place.

The biggest letter I get about God is G. Glorious. God does everything for His own Glory and to show that glory to the world. Everything God shakes, destroys, lifts up and chooses to do is all for His glory and to get our attention. Thank goodness the Israeli people finally recognized that and obeyed!! He is Zealous. He continually reminds us that He is with us and not to be afraid. This has been one of his mottos from the beginning when he told Joshua as he first lead Israel. It's God's command to be strong (like a firmly built house?) but to also work. Being strong, maintaining out temple, and going forward is not easy. It takes work and discipline. But hallelujah that He promises, "For I am with you."

I continue to smile knowing the exciting promise in Haggai 2:7-9 ish. In a little while (so, soon) the temple will be not just for the Jews, but God will "shake all the nations, and the desired of all nations will come, and I will fill this house with glory,". I don't know about you, but that make heart swell up and fill me with hopeful joy. God is talking about me! All nations will know Him one day! Joy joy joy. I find this so appropriate right now especially since so many of the worlds leaders ate meeting not too far from us at the UN. Pray for these leaders. Pray for our nation. Pray for our President and leaders. All these nations need God. Pray that in these poor, war centered nations, in our self serving country that the nations will know Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment