Friday, September 14, 2012

Friday, September 14, 2012 - Job 22-24

Friday, September 14, 2012
Job 22-24

"Job's story is for us!" This is what Pastor Gregory Perry told me
about two years ago when I inquired about his view on the book of Job.
I'm sure none of you know who Greg is, but he was instrumental in my
having a relationship with the Lord today. In fact, his whole family
planted the seed of Christ Jesus in my heart by the way that they
lived and loved.

Job's story is for us! Today, I have a much greater understanding
about what this means than I did when Greg explained it to me two
years ago. Job's story wasn't just about the test of Job's
faithfulness to God. Job's story was about God and for us. God allowed
Job to suffer the way that he did so that his story would encourage
those that came after him; those that would suffer in poverty, endure
persecution, and/or just experience downtrodden times. It's in these
trying circumstances that the power of God's Word/Love is revealed. In
the documentary, "Furious Love," I saw how persecution put God's
Word/Love to the test. God's Word/Love prevailed.

In the movie, I witnessed persecution of believers in India. In 2006,
Hindu Extremists were massacring thousands of Christians in the
countryside of Orissa, India. Indian Christians homes and churches
were being burned to the ground. People lost their children, their
husbands, wives, etc. In one ministry, eighteen pastors had their
heads decapitated. A survivor of this massacre, a teenage Indian
Christian girl was interviewed: She asked her father, "How could this
all happen?" She then asked Jesus, "Why is this happening to us? We
didn't do anything so why are you punishing us?" Her mom overheard her
talking to God and said, "No, you are lucky that you have been part of
this. You know it's written in the Bible that blessed are the people
who are persecuted for the name of Christ." Wow!! God's Word/Love is
powerful enough to give immeasurable strength and hope amidst
persecution. In today's reading, in Job 23:10-12, Job even said,

10 But he knows the way that I take;
when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold.
11 My feet have closely followed his steps;
I have kept to his way without turning aside.
12 I have not departed from the commands of his lips;
I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my daily bread.

Because Job knew and followed God's Word, he understood God's Love.
This understanding afforded him a remarkable hope amidst persecution.
Job's story, like Jesus' story (the greatest story ever told) have
given hope to the oppressed.

I like to envision Job hanging out with God in heaven and looking down
at the world. I can see God showing Job how many people his story has
helped. I'm sure if Job's story had ended with suffering (although we
know he will be restored), he would still be satisfied and content
that he spent his life glorifying God amidst his affliction, for he
would see how critical his experience was in giving others hope. Job's
story is for us!

Have a blessed weekend,
Anthony

No comments:

Post a Comment