Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Ezekiel 40-43

Ezekiel 40-43
 
It's crazy how fast time goes by.  It really does fly!  This past weekend, Divan and I returned to New Mexico for a few days.  We have lived in CT for over two years now, and we talked about how it feels so short of time and more than 2 years.  It was a great, great trip revolving around my family, our friends, and of course food.  As I have shared, I am born and raised in NM and "comfort" was the word I used over and over!  My dear love, Divan, has not had the same raising as me, and he's at a point that there is not a place that truly feels like home.  Now don't feel sorry for the guy, he has many comfort places too, but I kept asking him if he felt like he was "home" in NM (wishing he would say yes,) but I know the reality if how he feels.  We then smile, nod our heads, and go into how this great big world really is not our home J  We are indeed just sojourners.    
 
I bring this little thought up because after reading about the temple, I couldn't help but think about what the temple represents in the Old Testament, New Testament, to the people of Israel and to God.  These chapters felt like a repeat from the chapters we read about the great Temple Solomon built.  There are exact depictions and dimensions of the rooms, the walls, and designs.  It's not as in depth as Solomon's Temple, but we get the point!  As I was reading, I kept picturing this as Herod's Temple (the second temple destroyed in 70 AD,) but after doing some more reading as research, I learn that this is the vision of "the Third Temple."  It is a temple not built yet, but there is still hope that this Temple will be built again.  It is a prophesy of the future and what is to come.   Good ol' Wikipedia even mentioned that Orthodox Jews still pray fir this temple to come daily. 
 
In this time that Ezekiel is prophesying, Jerusalem's temple has been destroyed, the symbol and dwelling place of God.  Since Christ has not come and died, offering salvation, the old traditions, and covenant still remain.  God dwells in the temple, and therefore, in some sense, does not have a "home."  The people of Israel are still "homeless", scattered among other peoples.  I am so thankful that this is not the end f the story.  I am thankful that we can turn our pages and read the hope and salvation we have in Christ.  I know I have mentioned this verse before, but Paul's words to the Corinthians echoed through my mind as I read these chapters,  "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own;" (I Cor 6:19)  Just like this world is not our home, the Temple was a temporary dwelling place for God.  The Church,  the Body, us.  We are the living temples of God.  We must honor Him, obey, and love Him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment