Wednesday, September 19, 2012

September 18

Psalm 44, 74, 79, 80, 85, 89

"Awake, O Lord! Why do you sleep? Rouse yourself! Do not reject us forever. Why do you hide your face and forget our misery and oppression?"
"Remember how the enemy has mocked you, O Lord, how foolish people have reviled your name. Do not hand over the life of your dove to wild beasts; do not forget the lives of your afflicted people forever."
"How long, O Lord? Will you hide yourself forever? How long will your wrath burn like fire?"

The author of these psalms felt like God forgot about His people and was hiding Himself from them. He was honest with God by expressing his feelings and emotions. This is a good thing because God wants us to be honest with Him. Even though He already knows what goes on in our hearts and minds, He still wants us to tell Him the truth. 

It is also important to remember that emotions do not equal truth. In this case, the psalmist felt like God was far away and that God had forgotten His people. When we focus on what we know to be true about God, we have to admit that He is never far from us. Psalm 139 clearly shows us this:
"O Lord, you have searched me and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue, you know it completely, O Lord.
You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain.
Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea,
even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.
If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,"
even the darkness will not be dark to you;
the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you."

If you feel like God is far from you, be honest with Him and tell Him how you feel. He wants us to share all of ourselves with Him. Also, as you are sharing with Him, don't forget what you know to be true. He is never far from us, He will never forget us, and nothing is beyond Him. 

Nothing Is Beyond You
by Rich Mullins
http://youtu.be/xwbVy3Ak3V8


No comments:

Post a Comment