Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Psalms 2, 22, 27

Psalms 2, 22, 27
Psalms of the Messiah
 
Last week I listened to a sermon that John Piper preached on Father's Day a couple years ago.  He said something that I had never really heard or had explained to me and it made so much sense.  He was talking about how God is a great Creator, but that he was a Father before he was Creator.  God is the Omega and there is God the Father, the Son, and The Holy Spirit.  In essence, if there was one thing God knows better than anything else, (but of course he is the best at everything!) it is how to be Father.  A good friend and I talked about that concept last week, and it has been in my thoughts and prayers since then.  Thanking, praising, and leaning onto my Father, my Abba. 
 
As we dwell on God being Father, we also are beginning to read about the Son.  We have been reading about David these last few weeks, and in many ways he is symbolic of the coming Messiah.  In case you didn't know, Messiah means "Anointed One" in Hebrew (Old Testament was written in Hebrew).  Christ is "Anointed One" in Greek (Most of the New Testament was written in Greek).  Nice little connection there J   David was the anointed king of Israel, and Jesus is God's Anointed One.  These are the Messianic Prophecies (and fulfillments) that we see in these chapters:
1.     Ps 2:7 – God will announce Christ to be His Son  (Matt 3:17, Acts 13:33, Hebrews 1:5)
2.     Ps 22:1 - God will forsake Christ in His moment of agony (Matt 27:46, Mark 15:34)
3.     Ps 22:7,8 - Christ will be scorned and ridiculed (Matt 27:39-43, Luke 23:35)
4.     Ps 22:16 - Christ's hands and feet will be pierced (John 20:25, Acts 2:23)
5.     Ps 22:18 – Christ's clothes will be gambled (Matt 27:35, 36)
 
Psalm 27 has always been a favorite of mine.  In my Bible, I have a yellow sun I drew in high school, and I know that it is a Psalm to live by.  I was reminded today when reading it how much I need to crave God.  When I read this psalm, its like thinking or seeing a lemon…your mouth automatically begins to water.  My heart did the same when I read it.   In the last two days I have been very pensive, reflective, and muy heart has ached.  I find comfort that "The Lord is the strength of life" and I shall not be afraid.  David desired and sought one thing, that's ONE, SINGLE, UNO…that he may dwell in the house of the Lord, all his days, and behold the beauty of the Lord.  My question: what is the one thing I desire from God?  That was not my first though.  David later continues that his heart will seek God's face.  I don't do that all the time.
 
Divan and I have been very grateful and our hearts have been filled with the love that so many have been pouring on us.  I know that I have a loving Abba who holds his hurting children.  As the Psalm ends, I pray that all our hearts be strong.  That we take heart and wait for the Lord.    
 

No comments:

Post a Comment