Saturday, May 26, 2012

May 26: The Builder, the Lover, and the Beloved

MAY 26, 2012
The Builder, the Lover, and the Beloved
(From Jon Lanuza)


Today's reading could be divided in two, of which the first - Psalm 127 -
was so much clearer, so much more straightforward. I was in a conference
room on the 10th floor of a building in San Francisco, and was looking out
across the street, to a newly dug construction site. The builders had put
in pilings, and then laid what appeared to be reinforcing 3 foot pipe across
the pilings, diagonally. I'd never seen it done that way. The builders had
also thought to build a platform that came three quarters of the way around
the dig site, at street level, so one could look down into the excavation.
And as I stood there, it struck me how I knew absolutely nothing about
building. Wouldn't know where, or how, to start. Wouldn't know when to
end. And would likely be condemned to a perpetual redo, as each mistake I
made became apparent.

In the grand scheme of things, though, building construction relatively
easy. There are architects and contractors, general and sub, roofers and
window guys and HVAC people and electricians and so on. Yet even if they
were to put everything together, there would still be no guarantee the
building was not built in vain. Earthquake-prone San Francisco is a great
example of a city where both nature and economics conspire against the
viability of buildings. And yet, taken against the context of, say,
choosing a spouse, raising a child or living a life, the stakes involved in
a building seem inconsequential. And the challenge of constructing a
building seem so much more manageable.

Whenever my parents would see me working such long hours, they used to quote
Psalm 127 to me. It took me almost 25 years to begin to understand what
they meant, how almost insignificant effort we put in is, unless that effort
is directed by someone who knows the way to go, who knows where, when and
why the building is meant to be constructed. Two weeks ago, part of the
reflection had to do with humility - humility is so critical to today's
reading as well. It isn't up to us. We need to recognize that we do not
know, and that we have Someone who does, Someone who is happy to take our
questions and give the guidance, sot hat we do not labor in vain, so that we
receive the sleep He grants to those He loves.

The second part of today's reading, the Song of Songs, was enlightening and,
after a bit of reflection, so straightforward. What an amazing relationship
the Lover and the Beloved had. What a totality of devotion, how completely
wrapped up in each other their lives are! The Beloved has neither eyes nor
concern for anyone but the Lover..."All night long...I looked for the one my
heart loves...I will get up now and go about the city...I will search for
the one my heart loves." In philosophy decades ago, we learned about the
heirarchy of values, and of the "summum bonnum" - the greatest good beneath
which all other values are ordered. The Beloved, however, does not seem to
have any other values - her summum bonnum, the Lover, is her only good. And
the Lover seems to see past the imperfections of the Beloved, to see only
her beauty.

What an amazing aspiration - to have God not only as our greatest good, but
our only good...to the point where even the conversations we have with
Friends center on Him. Wow. And, when we achieve that closeness, how
amazing then to experience the magnitude and completeness of His love for
us, as the Lover expresses.

Perhaps a reflection worth considering today - in the heirarchy of my needs
and wants, where does He sit? Can I say He is, in fact, my summum bonnum?
And if He isn't, do I want Him to be?


________________________________________________________________________
596 Glenbrook Road, Unit 13 | "Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection
Stamford, CT 06906-1423 | and the life. He who believes in me will
(C) 203.820.1741 | live, even though he dies; and whoever
(H) 203.355.9374 | lives and believes in me will never die.
(E) swe@edwa.info | Do you believe this?'" -- John 11:25,26

No comments:

Post a Comment