Sunday, May 20, 2012

20 MAY 12 Proverbs

Since the 3-paragraph blog rule has been cast aside sorry for the length of this one.
 
Proverbs!!! I love Proverbs! They do not call it the book of wisdom for nothing.
I will share my thoughts and some personal stories for each one.
 
1.      Self control: Tough area for me especially growing up with my family everyone always blurted out what ever they wanted to whenever they wanted to. To no avail I did indeed fall right into that same trap. As a young man if you ticked me off, duck! Because I would of most likely thrown something at you or just started swinging. One day my sister Emily's boyfriend came of to the house we called him "TEX" big cowboy type he drove a pretty brown "Cadillac Fleetwood" (gas was not a problem then) Tex got out of his car walked around the front and our small mini Collie names KIKI nipped him on his hand. Tex in turn kicked my little dog hard enough to send her back a few feet yelping. So instantly I picked up a 2 holed cinderblock and threw it through his windshield, then I ran so fast to avoid murder. I was 9 years old. No doubt with God's help I have come a long way oh don't get me wrong I still have the desire to choke people from time to time, but through wisdom, learning, and prayer God is still not finished with me. Today I still have bouts of lack of self-control, I have blown up at my kids and taken perfect teaching moments and cast them to the wind and just responded. Only to be left with regrets not just regrets of blowing up, more so the regret of not being able to get that teaching moment back.
2.     Rashness:  I'm a doer I love to get things done, and yes most of the time this works out great! Sometimes I find myself working harder trying to correct  or redo what I should of thought through a little more before implementing the plan I chose. I have been more than guilty of hitting the send button on many an email written in haste, before I learned to write it and put it into my draft folder to review it later and usually the email goes through many revisions before going out if it even goes out at all.
3.         Temper and patience:  "A hot tempered man must pay the penalty; If you rescue him, you will have to do it again"
 
I have this childhood friend who is a great guy, but he still has not learned to shutup, let things go, and not to sweat the small stuff. When he was about 17 he brought a .25 semi auto handgun off the street for $25.00. That by it's self was a dumb thing on so many levels. So he was visiting a girl friend if his and her boyfriend showed up needless to say things quickly got ugly my friend was mouthy and his guy was also so we all left but my friend is still so angry he goes looking for the boyfriend alone. He finds him the start up again her boyfriend picks up a metal garbage can and starts to chase him down the street. So what does any normal person do carrying a handgun that he knows nothing about he pulls it out and in Hollywood style shoots the gun over his shoulder while running and actually hits the guy in the stomach! Just grazing him, but still hits him. Short version my friend gets tried for attempted murder, and various other hand gun laws he broke gets sentenced to 1 year mandatory in jail. He comes out and four years later some car with 4 teens in it cut him off her proceeds to get our of his car grab the driver by the throat a punched him several times before the bulb goes off "snap I think I should not of done that" more court battles violation of probation etc… Hes a grown man now and still has many issues of anger and hatred I still love the guy but wow!
 
4. Drunkenness and gluttony:  I can say I have never had any alcohol and the most drugs I tried, was one hit of a joint my sister gave me when I was 11. I got so scared I never did any drugs at all after that episode. I will say, "I have always been surrounded by drunks and drug addicts".  I have lost 2 sisters, and both my moms parents to addictions. I will also say both my parents illnesses were great accelerated by the alcohol. Most of my 10 brothers and sisters struggled with or still struggle with alcoholism. 29-35 Who are the people who are always crying the blues? (My sister did this)
   Who do you know who reeks of self-pity? (when they were drinking)
Who keeps getting beat up for no reason at all? (well it was me when my mom was drunk)
   Whose eyes are bleary and bloodshot?
It's those who spend the night with a bottle, 
   for whom drinking is serious business. (I have seen too many morning after's)
Don't judge wine by its label, 
   or its bouquet, or its full-bodied flavor.
Judge it rather by the hangover it leaves you with— 
   the splitting headache, the queasy stomach.(I actually wondered why after a hangover why anyone would ever want to do that again)
Do you really prefer seeing double, 
   with your speech all slurred,
Reeling and seasick, (I never understood why they kept going back)
   drunk as a sailor? (I understand the saying, but I'm offended I'm a sailor)
"They hit me," you'll say, "but it didn't hurt; 
   they beat on me, but I didn't feel a thing.
When I'm sober enough to manage it, 
   bring me another drink!"(I was a kid about 8 or so my dad came home drunk like clock work this time he had a huge lump and a gash on the back of his head which was still bleeding quite a lot and was in need of stitches his shirt his car seat were covered. He had no recall how or why it happened and refused to go to the hospital)
 
4.     Adultery: Oh my were to start here this topic if looked at with honest eyes plagues mankind, men and women, but I can only attest to how it effects men. We need to understand a few things that us Christian men tend to misconstrue on this topic.
1.      Being married and sleeping with another woman weather she is married or not is ADULTERY.
2.     You being single and sleeping with a married woman ADULTERY.
3.     You being married and looking at the opposite sex lustfully. ADULTERY
Single people looking at one another lustfully. ADULTERY? Mat 5: tell us, Looking at another lustfully one is guilty of adultery. Funny he is only addressing men here. Adultery hits men and women differently.
2. Emotional Adultery – this seem to be common with women, in my experience  most women don't go out seeking sex, they just want a listening ear especially when things are not going well at home. So they become emotionally attached to this man at their job/school who listens, and say all the nice things that the husband is not saying and soon compassion turns into passion.
3. Physical Adultery – this is what most men committing adultery are looking for, because the wife at home has closed down her shop for whatever reason, so the man is looking for an avenue for sex.
 
Fornication however is between to single people who decide its ok to have sex because we want to, need to, have to, whatever even people who are going to get married, or that are engaged and living together figure whats the difference? Were getting married anyway. This foolish people are about to put serious strains on their future relationships by giving into these feelings. Sad I goes on in the church all the time! I understand those outside the church who don't know better but for us who call ourselves Christians?
 
5. Prostitution: Goes hand and hand with the above.  
     
 

Chuck Goulart

No comments:

Post a Comment