Saturday, May 12, 2012

FW: May 12 - Solomon, wisdom and a mother

-----Original Message-----
From: jose lanuza [mailto:jose.a.lanuza@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2012 4:27 PM
Subject: May 12 - Solomon, wisdom and a mother

While the first part of today's readings tell of How Solomon consolidated
power in the line of David, and settled unfinished business, it is the
second part that calls me to reflect, and in two ways.

HUMILITY AND WISDOM

When I think of people who might find reason to be proud of their own self
sufficiency, a king comes to mind. What else does a king need, and on whom
is he dependent? He has his wealth, his palaces, his army to keep him in
power. He probably has college funds for the kids and 4 weeks off a year,
and the means to go on holiday! And yet, despite all this, Solomon
recognized the responsibility that came with the throne, and realized how
unfit he was, how unprepared he was for the job. And with that humility, he
asked God for the wisdom he would need to do what God had asked of him.

The opportunity for humility isn't limited to those whose responsibilities
are as great as a king's. We have that everyday, and probably demonstrate
it more often than we realize. When we travel an unfamiliar road and pride
tells us to keep going, we have the opportunity to stop and ask for
directions. When we buy new equipment - a computer, a car - we can try to
make sense of all the wires and connections, the knobs and controls
ourselves, but we do get an instruction manual and a 1-800 number to dial.
And those of us not particularly mechanically gifted take advantage of both.

It strikes me, though, that as the stakes just get really high, we have no
manual, no help line. Think about it - when we are born or when we have
children, we don't get a book from the manufacturer...all we get is a
placenta. How wonderful then that we have a hotline to the manufacturer,
the Creator. How wonderful we can have the conversation Solomon had with
God EVERY SINGLE DAY. How great that we can take the uncertainty out of the
assembly, out of the journeys that are life and parenthood by admitting we
are unprepared, and seeking the wisdom and guidance of Him who knows
everything - even more, has control over all things! Yet how often have we
- have I, certainly - allowed pride to get in the way of wisdom?

MOTHERHOOD

if you've read this far, permit me to go a bit further. The other thing
that struck me about today's reading was its timeliness, the day before
Mother's Day - and what a Mother's Day story we have. I try to put myself
in the real mother's shoes...I start with the feeling of unworthiness a
prostitute must feel standing before a king, and the flame of anger and the
anguish of desperation at the theft of my baby, replaced with a dead child.
And I come before the king with trepidation, but also with hope that justice
will be served, and that I will have my child back.

But what do I hear? The lies of this other woman, the seeming inability of
the king to discern the truth...and the command to slice the infant born of
my womb in two, that we might each have a piece. And I recoil at the choice
before me - my child taken from me, given to a liar and a thief, or killed.
What an anguished expression of her love it must have been for her to humble
herself, to surrender her motherhood, in exchange for the child's life! And
yet, in the surrender of her own selfish desires, she found herself blessed
by the king, her child restored to her.

Two stories, both about humility, both manifesting the goodness, the
responsiveness and the mercy of our God.

Please consider the following:

1. What opportunities have I had over the last few days to show humility,
to seek God's wisdom? Did I seek out His will, or did I strike out on my
own?
2. What are the three things I can thank a mother - mine, my children,
someone else's - for on Mother's Day?

Jon Lanuza

No comments:

Post a Comment