Friday, February 3, 2012

Friday, February 3, 2012: Leviticus 8-10

Friday, February 3, 2012
Leviticus 8-10

God's merciful heart remains beyond my comprehension. From the
beginning of mankind's existence, people have turned away from their
creator. Nonetheless, God remains faithful. God's choice to ordain
Aaron as Israel's first High Priest in today's reading is evidence of
God's mercy and faithfulness. Think about it – at Mount Sinai when
Moses was communicating with the living God on behalf of the
Israelites, Aaron was fashioning a golden calf for the people to
worship. Aaron thought it was okay for the Israelites to worship an
idol over the living God. Now, God is calling Aaron to be a spiritual
leader among his people. Astonishing!

No wonder why God called for so many sacrifices in these chapters
to purify His chosen people. Besides Moses, Aaron and his sons were
Israel's most righteous people. Yet, they were flawed.

No human, no matter how righteous could ever live up to God's
standards. This is why God sent His only begotten Son Jesus Christ to
do it for us. Only God is capable of living up to His own perfect law.
Only through belief in Jesus Christ are we made perfect before God the
Father.

During Old Testament times, animal sacrifices were essential to
the washing away of the sins of the High Priests and the people. We
learn that these sacrifices had to be made over and over again; first
for the sins of the High Priests, then for the sins of the people.
Only with the death and resurrection of Christ Jesus were people
finally atoned for once and for all. In Hebrews 10:5-7, it says,
"Therefore, when Christ came into the world, he said: Sacrifice and
offering you did not desire, but a body you prepared for me; with
burnt offerings and sin offerings you were not pleased. Then I said,
'Here I am – it is written about me in the scroll – I have come to do
your will, my God.'"

The blood of animals weren't enough for the Israelites. They still
felt the guilt of their sins. Only God's blood can completely wash
away the guilt of our sins.

Aren't you thankful that we worship the ultimate High Priest?
Jesus is the only High Priest that didn't need to purify Himself with
sacrificial animals. Jesus was without a blemish like the sacrificial
animals and therefore became the final sacrifice.

Like Aaron, we have all turned our back on God. I do it almost
every day when my pride tells me that, "I'm God and I have it all
figured out." Thankfully, God's always standing there waiting for me
to step outside of myself and turn back towards Him. It is only when
I'm turned towards God that I feel peace. It is only when I'm turned
towards God that I'm reminded that I don't need to feel guilty for my
sins anymore. I encourage you all to look towards God right now and
allow yourself to feel the grace that He gives freely.

God says that you're Blessed,
Anthony

No comments:

Post a Comment