Sunday, February 19, 2012

Feb 19th

February 19th 

Laws Against False Spirituals. 
These laws are pretty easy to understand. God warns the people not to imitate, or take up the ways of the people of the lands they will occupy. Following other people's ways would be rude, if you think about it, because God brought them this far, and once they get comfortable they not only lose their reverence for God but start to follow other gods that have done nothing for them, who do not exist? I know that I'm guilty of only going to God when I'm in trouble, taking advantage of His open arms and comfort during the bad times, but going and worshiping false gods would be like an extra slap in the face to our God.
God then foreshadows the coming of Jesus, and also gives us a test for false prophets. 

Laws Regarding Blasphemy
This section is very relevant to my life. Swearing, along with misuse of the Lord's name, is something I hear often. I'm sad to say that swearing like this comes naturally to a lot of my friends and family. The next time you hear someone swear or are tempted to swear yourself, first ask if it's really necessary. Does the situation your in really require such language? And then remember what a great God we have, and how awesome He is, and compare that vastness to the now trivial situation you would swear for. 

Laws Requiring Dedications
These laws are for reminding the people of what God has done for them. I must admit, when I first read this passage, I was upset. Why would He take away what He gave? Then it hit me. He was the one who gave the people the opportunity to have their firstborn sons and animals. These laws are to remind the people that He was the one to give these gifts. 

Laws Requiring Tithing
These laws are for the Levites, the priests. These are the laws that explain that the priest should not concern himself with making a lot of money. I always took this passage to be God's way of warning the priests not to get greedy for power, and then also His laws for the people to feed the priest keep the priests alive and healthy. 

Special Instructions for Conquest
These laws are for when the people move. They are to thank God for all He has done and to remind the people who is ultimately responsible for their good fortune. 

Law of the Sabbath
The Sabbath is the day when everything rests. It is the day that symbolizes the last day of creation, when God Himself took a rest. This is the part of the Bible I used to go to when I was younger when my grandmother asked me to do chores on Sunday :) 

Have a wonderful Sunday!

Gina




No comments:

Post a Comment