Friday, May 7, 2021

May 7: Of Parenting Lessons from Hannah



1 Samuel 1:1-2:21
John 5:1-23
Psalm 105:37-45
Proverbs 14:28-29

So let me get this straight.  Hannah, the erstwhile barren wife, tormented by her husband's second wife; Hannah who desires nothing more than to have a son, so much so she prays so hard she is deemed drunk in the Temple - this Hannah who begs God to hear her prayer, she finally gets a son…and then gives him away?   Why?

Hannah knew two things every parent needs to know.  First, she knew where children came from - "Lord Almighty, if You will only look on Your servant's misery and remember me, and not forget Your servant but give her a son…" Hannah knew children were from God, were His to give as He chose.  

Second, Hannah knew what was best for her son.  "…then I will give him to the Lord for all the days of his life…". As good as it might have been for her son to have stayed with her, even before her son was born, she knew her son was belonged with God. 

I wish when my kids were born that I knew what Hannah knew  I might have appreciated the gift, the blessing they are so much more.  I might have also realized that, for everything I tried to teach them, the best thing I could have done was point them to God, with Whom they belonged, and to Whom they will one day go.  

Father, thankfully it is't too late.  Like Hannah, teach me, and teach all parents, that all our children come from You, and they all belong to You.  Help us to appreciate them, and to point them in the right direction, back to You.

No comments:

Post a Comment