Tuesday, November 24, 2020

The Weary World Rejoices

Today's Bible reading: November 24th

Focus verse
Psalm 119:50 - my comfort in my suffering is this: your promise preserves my life

2020. I'd say this year has been a rollercoaster, and while there have been ups and downs, there sure have been a lot of downs! Don't get me wrong, there are gifts to experience on a daily basis, and I have been able to enjoy numerous blessings this year including expanding our home projects and my husband getting a new job that we've been praying for for years.

We're now in November. Personally, I'm getting continually tired... My work situation is draining me as I hear "covid positive" on a regular basis and have to make notifications, put safeguards in place, and counsel staff and residents through this scary time. Weary is truly how I have felt over the past few weeks. Many of us have pushed through this year and excessively exerted ourselves. How do we seek comfort in our suffering? In our times of weariness? 

In Psalm 119 (which is a super long Psalm!) the psalmist suggests that we can be comforted in our suffering, and that God's promise is what preserves us: keeps us safe, protects us, guards us, and keeps us from decaying. God's promises are numerous. He promises to be gracious, to be with us, to fight for us, to strengthen us, to give us peace, to love us with unfailing love, to use all things for good. And it doesn't end there. The more of the Bible that we read, the more promises we discover. Our bitter hearts become softened.

Comfort from God doesn't take away the challenges we are facing, but it can change our attitude and perspective as we go through the trials. God's Word has revived me. His promises are so much more than I deserve. As we prepare to enter the season of Advent, we can reflect on God sending His son into our world as a baby. This amazing gift to us is the fulfillment of so many promises, most importantly, the gift of eternal life outside of this broken world. A thrill of hope… And if that isn't reason to rejoice, I don't know what is!

No comments:

Post a Comment