Saturday, November 21, 2020

November 21: Of James’s Four P’s


Ezekiel 42:1-43:27
James 5:1-20
Psalm 119:1-16
Proverbs 28:6-7

For someone who used to doubt and disrespect his older brother, James turned out ok, didn't he?  

I read today's NT reading and couldn't help but think of four P's: Priorities, Prayer, Patience and Perseverance.  James is pretty clear about what our Priorities should be - not luxury and self indulgence obtained possibly by cheating and stealing.  No, he talks about how our lives should be lived in ways as to help turn "a sinner from the error of their way".  And not just for the sinner's benefit, but for ours.

And how are we to do this?  With Prayer.  James makes clear we are to pray in all circumstances - good, bad, ill, even in sin.  We are to pray because those "offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up", and "if they have sinned, they will be forgiven."

But what to do when our prayers seem to go unanswered?  Again James is clear: we are to be Patient.  Things happen in their proper time, so we are to wait as "the farmer waits for the land to y field its valuable crop".  We are to wait patiently, without grumbling.  And we are to Persevere through the struggle for which we have prayed, just as Job did.  We are able to do so because we can trust in the Lord's compassion and mercy.

My youngest, a junior in high school, spoke up at the dinner table today, expressing tremendous anger and frustration at the pandemic and its disruptions.  I understand.  When I was his age, I went to school, I swam, and I hung out with friends.  He is denied all three.  I'd like for him to learn James's Four P's, but anyone who has tried to raise teenagers knows this not when they are at their most receptive.  What then to do?

Well first, I will prioritize.  I will try and spend time with him this week, giving him time to vent his frustrations.  And then hopefully I can encourage him to pray - alone, perhaps together, for the challenging conditions, the coronavirus and all who've been afflicted.  After that, I hope to model patience - to wait upon the Lord in faith.  And when, inevitably, he experiences doubt, I hope to help him persevere, with words of encouragement.

Father, during this difficult time, instead of worldly objectives, help us make it our priority to live lives that will point sinners back to you.  Teach us to pray for what You want, to be patient and wait on Your schedule, and when afflicted by doubt, to persevere in the knowledge of Your love and compassion.

No comments:

Post a Comment