Sunday, November 15, 2020

Bible Blog Post - November 15, 2020

Ezekiel 31:1-32:32 

Hebrews 12:14-29 

Psalm 113:1-114:8 

Proverbs 27:18-20 


Proverb 27:19  As water reflects the face, so one's life reflects the heart.


Just as you can look into a placid lake, see your reflection and get a glimpse of your outward appearance, you can also look at your life's choices and see where your heart is.


What is your heart focused on?  What do you prioritize in your life?  I think this verse presents us with a wonderful opportunity to do a self-check and see what our hearts are really focused on.


This week let's try an exercise.  Grab a journal and take note of the things that occupy your time each day.  You can categorize your daily activities into three groups, such as morning, afternoon and evening.  Jot down what you do!


Por ejemplo:

Morning

Wake up at 6:30, make coffee, have breakfast, read God's Word, pray and start work.

Afternoon

Each lunch, get through meetings, look over assignments, email parents.

Evening

Continue emailing parents, grade, order a new fleece on the L.L. Bean website, have dinner, play with the cat, watch Netflix, text my mom, pass out on the couch, shower, pass out in bed.


After journaling your activities each day, take a look and see where your heart is and where your priorities lay.  Is a focus on God your number one priority?  Is work?  Is your family?  Where did your money go this week?


Then, reflect.  Are your actions a reflection of God's love, or are you just doing what you have to do for yourself, your family, your job, etc.?  Are you making time for God and for the work that He calls you to do?  I know that for myself, it's easy to lose focus and prioritize other things and people before Him, but when I do that, I clearly see that I am not the best version of myself.  I see this reflected in my heart, my words, my actions and my thoughts.  Sometimes it's easy to lose sight of what we truly spend our time and money on each day, so journaling can help bring things to light.


Dear Lord, please help each of us to see our heart as clearly as we see our reflection in water.  Please reveal any selfish ways within us that are getting in the way of us reflecting the love that you desire.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment