Friday, July 10, 2020

Thursday, July 9

THURSDAY, JULY 9, 2020


"But you, LORD, are a shield around me,
my glory, the One who lifts my head high." (Psalm 3:3)

"My shield is God Most High,
who saves the upright in heart." (Psalm 7:10)


In these two verses, David refers to God as His Shield. In the New Testament, when describing the full armor of God, Paul refers to the "shield of faith." (Ephesians 6:16)

God had promised Abraham in making His covenant: "Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, your very great reward." (Genesis 15:1) Moses describes God's protection and blessing of Israel in this way: "Blessed are you, Israel! Who is like you, a people saved by the LORD? He is your shield and helper and your glorious sword." (Deuteronomy 33:29)

The shield metaphor appears three times in Psalm 18, starting with v. 2: "The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;/ my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge,/ my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold."

From these verses, we see clearly that God protects and guards those who have trusted in Him. This metaphor becomes more and more real as we grow deeper in our relationship. Ironically, when we come to trust in nothing and no one else, God's protection and steadfastness become even more evident.

How has God served as your shield? From what has He protected you? How could you give thanks for that protection today?


Lord God, thank You that You are our shield and protection. Thank You for saving us from a myriad of dangers and attacks. Thank You for standing by us in our moments of vulnerability and weakness. Thank You that Your protection is never far off and always welcome. Draw us closer to You today as we remember You as our shield. In Jesus's Name, amen.


"A Shield About Me": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTQdUtVj9iw


________________________________________________________________________
596 Glenbrook Road, Unit 13 | "Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection
Stamford, CT 06906-1423 | and the life. He who believes in me will
(C) 203.820.1741 | live, even though he dies; and whoever
(H) 203.355.9374 | lives and believes in me will never die.
(E) swe@edwa.info | Do you believe this?'" -- John 11:25,26

No comments:

Post a Comment