Monday, June 22, 2020

bible blog post Monday June 22nd

What Eye's Matter To You? (2 Kings 3:2-3)



29 times in 1st & 2nd Kings we read the words "He did evil in the eyes of the LORD" when referring to the Kings of Israel and Judah.  In today's reading we see it is said again of King Joram but with a twist,

"He did evil in the eyes of the LORD, but not as his father and mother had done.  He got rid of the sacred stone of Baal that his father had made.  Nevertheless he clung to the sins of Jeroboam son of Nebat, which he had caused Israel to commit; he did not turn away from them." 2 Kings 3:2-3

Joram didn't do the "same evil" as his parents.  He DID seek to get ride of some of the evil but despite his efforts we read that he DID NOT get ride of enough, he DID NOT change course back to one that did good in the eyes of Lord.  He didn't take inventory of his heart and weigh it against the word of God and God's call for his life. 

This made me wonder, "Did Joram think his efforts were enough for the LORD?  Did Joram believe that if he got rid of the "Big Noticeable" sins that it would be enough for God?  Did Joram deceive himself into believing that a little bit of effort to transform would satisfy God into blessing his life or at the very least not let it completely fall apart?  Did Joram truly believe that what he had done merited a title of "doing good in the eye's of the LORD?"   It is possible that what he had done looked good in his own eyes and even the eyes of others but those aren't the eyes that matter. 

It made me reflect on myself.  I had to ask God, "Do I do evil in your eyes?  It may seem like a harsh questions, an uncomfortable one but I think it is a good honest question that we each need to ask.  It is entirely possible for us to deceive ourselves into thinking that because we don't do the "big sins" (whatever those might be to you) that we are living good, unspoiled, guiltless lives in the eyes of the LORD.  But, can we at times find ourselves like Joram?  Can we deceive ourselves by not daily seeking God's word and call on our lives and measuring that against how we are living.   Can we fail to see the other sins we have let have a home in our hearts, in our lives?  Can we fail to make right our hearts and lives with the LORD each day?  It is possible for us to look at our lives as good in our own eyes and even the eyes of others but those aren't the eyes that matter.

I found myself asking God to reveal to me anything that I have let have a place in my heart or my life that is seen by Him, His eyes, as evil, that is not seen as good.  I want to seek to live a life that is good in the eyes of my God, not solely for my sake or benefit, but because it blesses others.  When I live and do "good in the sight of God" He in turn uses that for His Good, His Glory, and to bless others.  The 5 kings throughout the books of 1&2 Kings who "did good in the eyes of the Lord" were a blessing and benefit to the kingdom they served.  I serve God's Kingdom and I want to bless and benefit it for the LORD.  To serve well and effectively I need to seek the LORD daily and ask him to help me ride anything in my life that keeps me from living the good he calls me to live in.

It is one thing to ask God to show me what evil, what sin, I harbor in my heart  or life that he sees as not good but it is another thing to take action to remove whatever he reveals.  Living a "good life" is a multi-step process that God will help us with if we seek Him.  I can not harbor any sin and think it is ok in my eyes because mine are not the ones that matter.

Let us seek to live lives that Do merit the title of "doing right in the eyes of the LORD."  Let our lives be a blessing as we seek to serve in God's Kingdom according to His word and His call.   It's his eyes we need to seek to please as His are the ones that truly matter.


No comments:

Post a Comment