Monday, June 15, 2020

bible blog post Moday June 15th

It Starts With You (Psalm 133:1-3)   



"How good and pleasant it is when brothers (and sisters) live together in unity?" Psalm 133:1

Unity is a word that has been clinging to my heart and mind with urgency and importance over the past several months.  I have been keeping it at the forefront of my prayers.  I have learned during my life that often times when I pray for things God will give me opportunity to practice and develop the very things I ask for.  It was no surprise when I read Psalm 133 today and saw that the whole Psalm is dedicated to the importance and impact of unity.  Three short verses that pack in so much more than one can actually share in a blog post.  I will focus on the first verse and our part in unity and what is to be gained or found when we choose to live in it.

Unity starts with a U.  I don't think that is a coincidence.  I believe that as I have been praying and seeking unity that God has clearly been saying to me, "Ruth, if you want to have unity with others, no matter what the circumstances, it must start with YOU!.  I must sit in reflection of my heart and my attitude.  I must seek the lord and ask if there is anything within me that is or will hinder unity from happening.  I must ask for wisdom to understand others and circumstances and to not think that I already know the answers.  I must be willing to listen and that means truly listen to what others are saying and not just listening so that I can form a good rebuttal.  I must be willing to act in support of others even if that means there is a cost to myself.  I must NOT sit and wait for others to change, to expect the responsibility of unity to rest on the shoulders of others but to pray for the Lord to work in others as I seek His strength to do what I can to keep unity flowing strong.

To live in unity requires a humble heart.  I must remember that I live for the Lord's kingdom and not my own.  Unity is about God's will be done in and through me.  Unity is about distributing forgiveness and grace to others just as Christ has to me.  Unity is about keeping my eyes focused on the eternal goals of life and not the temporal ones.  Unity is remembering that the hearts of people are more important to the Lord than the task and the impact of my ability to love others should never be underestimated.  Living in unity is all about giving the Lord an opportunity to use me as he sees fit not how I think I will fit into a relationship, situation or circumstance.  When I surrender my everything (strengths, weaknesses, hurts, abilities, frustrations, uncertainties, wants, fears, etc...) to the Lord and let him lead my heart for the blessing and benefit of others it ushers in the opportunity for unity to have center stage and to become a good and pleasant tool to be used in what God is doing.

I prefer to live with others in ways that are good and pleasing according to the Lord.  I prefer to live with others in a way that builds them up and strengthen the bonds God has called us to have.  I prefer to be the one that ushers in unity rather than the one who keeps it at bay.  When we live in unity it is good and pleasing and can be an instrument the Lord uses to reveal Himself to those who don't yet know him. 

Unity starts with "you".  Are you ready and willing?


No comments:

Post a Comment