Wednesday, August 9, 2017

August 9

Psalm 31


Remember when we were used to play tag out on the playground and there was a "base" -- that safe place where no one could tag you out --  no one could get you?  When we reached "base" we yell out "safe". That "base" was our refuge and we would run to it for safety when being chased or threatened.  When we take refuge we are seeking protection from danger or distress - emotional, physical or spiritual.  I'm not sure which adventure David was seeking refuge from in this Psalm, but he chose to seek and take refuge in God.  He knew he would be safe seeking the shelter of the Most High.   Like Stephen and Jesus, he committed his spirit into God's hands.  In verse 6, David jumps themes a bit and contrasts trusting in  "worthless idols" to trusting in God.  As I started to think about that I realized that worthless idols might not necessarily only refer to material things.  Once we start comparing things, that means we have a choice. I started to think about my choices of "base"  for me --  where are those safe places where the enemy can't touch me. I can choose to take refuge in  fear, worry, or anxiety but am I really safe or just returning to learned behavior over trusting God.  We've learned through readings and teachings that anything we place over God becomes our idol and if we cling to our idols, (whatever they might be),  we are out of alignment to commit our spirit to God.  That, to me, doesn't sound like being safe.  I pray for all of us that today as we are being chased by the many situations we will face, that we commit our spirits to God and we run to our rock and our fortress. Only there, we will be safe.

Randi

No comments:

Post a Comment