Sunday, August 6, 2017

August 06, 2017


"We, however, speak a message of wisdom among the mature, but not the wisdom of this age or of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing." (1 Corinthians 2:6)


1 Corinthians 2:6 tells us, that there are two types of wisdom, an earthly wisdom, and a wisdom that comes from the Spirit, from God. Most of my life I searched for wisdom, and most of my life, I was aware of only one type of wisdom. I used to think that, the more degrees you have, the more books you read, the better chance you have in becoming smarter, and successful in life. It is true, that education provides knowledge, but wisdom is more than knowledge.


 In this country, I had the chance to work and interact with highly educated people, with degrees from universities that I could only dream of, back in Romania. At first, I used to perceive these people as super humans. However, the more I got to know them, the more I realized that they were broken vessels like everybody else. In time, after getting to know the Lord, I saw that, in fact, those fancy degrees meant absolutely nothing, without God.  A bitter truth for me, who I once believed that, education was everything.


I still value education, but in a different way. I understand that the source of wisdom is not the world, but God alone. Wisdom is a gift from God. James 1:5 states, "If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you." I understand now, that when I need wisdom, truth, guidance, balance, I need to turn to God. It is sometimes hard, because the worldly wisdom, nowadays, is very loud and omnipresent. There is an overwhelming amount of information out there. Every web page offer answers to questions, I wasn't even aware I had. However, the wisdom of the world is foolishness in God's sight. (1 Corinthians 3:19)


A great way to access God's wisdom, is by spending time, reading and understanding the Word of God. Meditating upon the Word of God brings wisdom. "Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long." (Ps 119:97). "Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path" (Ps 119:105). "I will meditate in your precepts, and have respect to your ways. I will delight myself in your statutes: I will not forget your word" (Ps 119:15,16).


To have knowledge is to have understanding or information about something. To have wisdom is to have the ability to apply knowledge to everyday life. Meditating on God's Word gives us wisdom for our everyday life.


Lord, we thank you for knowledge and wisdom, and we thank You, that Your plan for our lives exceeds any plan the world might promise! "No eye has seen, ne ear has heard, no mind has conceived, what God has prepared for those who love him." (1 Corinthians 2:9)

No comments:

Post a Comment