Friday, June 3, 2016

June 3

Psalm 121 

 

I suffer from "white coat syndrome." As much as 20 percent of the population also suffers from this. This syndrome occurs when I step into a doctor's office. To me it feels like I am walking into a lion's den. My blood pressure surges, my heart rate goes up and my hands get cold and clammy.  This is an apparent incongruity in my life, because I will verbally tell you that I trust the Lord in every situation. Yet, I still worry.

 

I only wish that all of my worries were confined to the doctor's office. I find myself anxious over the future of Grace Church, the direction our country is headed in, my family and decisions I need to make daily. I guess you could call this my worry list.

 

But it doesn't match up with the Psalm we read today. Psalm 121

 

"I lift up my eyes," David was looking at the Lord not his problems. I tend to look at the problems much more.

 

"Where does my help come from?" From me, my strategies, my power?   No, my help comes from the Lord. God is willing to be known as "the help." That is fantastic.

 

"He watches," is used six times in these verses. The truth is God is my watcher and I am the watchee.  He is watching over me today. He is also watching over you.

 

"The sun and the moon will not harm me," that is pretty comprehensive, day and night I am protected.

 

"He will not let my foot slip." That happens a lot in life. When we stay on the right path there is security. Kathie and I were hiking at Kent Falls a few years ago and we saw a sign that said, "Stay off of the Slippery Rocks."  Arrogant people think they can walk anywhere without slipping. That is a lie from the evil one. Stay on the pathway God designs and your foot will never slip.

 

"The Lord is my shade," that means He is right by my side. Even as I type these words, He is in the office with me. So in the end I have nothing to worry about either in the doctor's office or the church office. God is in control. Nothing will happen today that escapes His knowledge and His divine plan. I trust in his sovereign design for my life and His immutable will. I have nothing to worry about, and neither do you.

 

 


--
"Multiplying leaders to change the world"

No comments:

Post a Comment