Monday, June 20, 2016

June 20: Of role models and going awry...


1 Kings 22:1-53
Acts 13:16-41
Psalm 138:1-8
Proverbs 17:17-18

I wish I could say I could identify with Micaiah.  He had integrity - when others tried to entice him to do the self serving thing, to regurgitate what the king of Israel wanted to hear, he refused - despite the potential consequences (after all, this wasn't the first run in he had with the king, was it?).  And he said what God told him to, even if it was going to seriously tick off all the four hundred other prophets - Zedekiah in particular, he of the dramatic gestures.  

I even wish I could identify with Jehoshaphat.  His first instinct when presented with an opportunity, a plan?  "First seek the counsel of the Lord."  And when faced with the prospect of contrarian advice, he was prepared to receive it.

The thing is, I am more often like the king of Israel.  I decide what I want, and then go seek God's endorsement.  And when I don't get it, I find reason to reject God's word..."didn't I tell you that he never prophesies anything good about me, only bad?"  And then I go on my willful way...sometimes resorting to other measures - deception, anyone? - to try and get what I want.  And while I've not taken an arrow to the body as a result, nor has any of the outcomes achieved involved dogs licking up my blood, it is safe to say all those plans went awry.  Because they were mine, not His. 

Father, forgive us for the times we've been like the king of Israel.  Teach us to be submissive as Jehoshaphat was, grant us the integrity Micaiah had.  Then, as David sang, "I will praise you, Lord, with all my heart; before the 'gods' I will sing your praise."  Then the "Lord will vindicate me..."

No comments:

Post a Comment