Wednesday, June 1, 2016

June 1

2 Samuel 18:18

 During his lifetime Absalom had taken a pillar and erected it in the King's Valley as a monument to himself


The whole account of David's life and lineage is pretty mind boggling, but this one verse really stood out to me today.  The motive driven by the spirit of pride is a theme we encounter a lot and here it is again.  I have to be honest, when I read it I felt convicted.  Haven't we all at some point taken credit for ourselves, worshiped our own efforts, and fed into our own egos?  Having fell into this trap more times than I'd like to admit, I tried to point it out to Steven in an attempt help him avoid falling into the same trap.  He has found a passion in playing music.  The Stamford High Marching Band played the National Anthem at Citifield on Friday night, led the parade downtown on Sunday, and has other musical highlights.  As we were talking about the events and I saw him get caught up in the excitement, I looked at him and said "Play for an Audience of One....Always".  Like many others before him, Absalom took his eyes off of God.  Proverbs 16:18 tells us "Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall".   It's one of the easiest traps to fall into.  I pray for all of us today, that wherever we are and whatever we are doing, we do it for an Audience of One.


Randi


No comments:

Post a Comment