Saturday, September 5, 2015

Saturday, September 5, 2015

Saturday, September 5, 2015

 

"They gave themselves first of all to the Lord, and then by the will of God also to us."

(2 Corinthians 8:5 NIV)

 

The Macedonian churches were largely Gentile churches.  There was an idol or a temple to a different god on every corner and this "Jesus" thing was not very popular.  These infant congregations suffered persecution and "severe trial." (2 Corinthians 8:2)  Some people were possibly kicked out of their family homes for committing to follow Jesus.  Others lost jobs and income.  How do they survive?  Who would support them? 

 

The last thing that many of us would want to do in that moment is give.  Why give $5 of my $10 to the people in Jerusalem when my family disowned me, I lost my job, and I don't know how I'm going to eat tomorrow?  You see, it's easier to give when the money is coming in, when I'm feeling healthy, when I have the time…  How do you sacrifice like this when your world is caving in?

                                                                   

"They gave themselves first of all to the Lord…"

Many know Jesus as Savior.  Jesus has saved us from the power and penalty of sin and He still saves us by the power of the Holy Spirit – warning us, teaching us, healing us, etc.  However, there is a difference between knowing Jesus as Savior and knowing Him as Lord (King).  The Macedonian churches gave themselves to the Lord, their King.  They submitted to His love for them, to His peace in their persecution, and to the promise that "God [would] meet all [their] needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus" (Php. 4:19).  As they gave everything to the Lord the circumstances of their lives in the kingdom of this world faded for their view of the kingdom of God.  They gave themselves to the Lord as if they were giving Him an empty cup, inviting Him to use it as He saw fit.  He filled them up with His grace and then He poured them out on the thirsty Jerusalem church.

 

How much of myself did I give to the Lord?  Was I available for Him to fill and pour out on someone who needed Him?  What about tomorrow?

 

Lord, You are the greatest Giver that I know!  No One has given more than what You gave when You freely sacrificed Your Only Son for sinners like me.  The very least that You deserve is all of me.  May the love You've shown and the provisions You've made move my heart to give You me everyday of my life.  Fill me up and pour me out however You choose.  In Jesus' Name.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment