Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Luke 12:15
 
Then he said to them, "Watch out!  Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions."
 
I selected this particular verse because of things that I see around me.  Living in Stamford, we go from one end of the spectrum to the other.  I drive home past people living on benches in the park, I interact with families in need of food stamps to feed their children, and I get upset when the fancy cars fly by me and feel they are entitled to drive however and wherever they desire with no regard for humans.  With all the wealth that can be found in this county, it saddens me to know that there are so many homeless and hungry individuals, even though they can be working two or three jobs to provide for their families.  I just wish that there somehow could be more balance.
 
This is nothing new....these situations existed when Jesus walked the earth.  But His love for the oppressed and unfortunate was so great, that it gave them hope for the future.  He constantly reminded everyone to care for the children, widows and the poor.  Jesus often tells those that have much to leave it behind and follow Him.  Alas, greed and the need to amass wealth and food supplies is a difficult habit to break.  My mother used to say, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, but it seems to me that the poor have more of a spirit for the Lord.  When you have nothing to give, you give more of yourself.
 
Luke12:29 - And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it.  For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them.  But seek His kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well.
 
Lord - today I thank you for my family, friends and what You have provided for my survival.  I am indeed grateful!  Help me to be more aware and giving to those less fortunate; and may I also be strengthened and encouraged by these individuals and their faith in You!  Let our treasure be You and Your kingdom!

1 comment:

  1. Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction. See the link below for more info.


    #greed
    www.ufgop.org

    ReplyDelete