Saturday, April 25, 2015

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Saturday, April 25, 2015

8 Barak said to her, "If you go with me, I will go; but if you don't go with me, I won't go."
9 "Certainly I will go with you," said Deborah. "But because of the course you are taking, the honor will not be yours, for the Lord will deliver Sisera into the hands of a woman." So Deborah went with Barak to Kedesh. (Judges 4:8-9 NIV)

One way to look at the account of Deborah and Barak is to see it as a story of missed opportunity. I see Deborah - wife, prophetess, and judge over Israel - having a great relationship with the Lord. It is not often in Scripture that we see such a powerful woman leading God's people in this manner. I see Deborah being so effective because she is woman of integrity, who listens for the voice of God. In this "man's world" culture, she is highly esteemed and people from all over Israel come to her for godly justice.

However, I also see Barak, whose history and resumé we have no knowledge of. He comes to Deborah to hear the message from God that she has for him, to take on King Jabin's general, Sisera. The message is to go and fight Sisera leading Israel's army and "I will…give him into your hands" (4:7). He has the word, but he lacks the relationship with God, the faith that God is enough. He finds greater comfort in Deborah going with him rather trusting that God was already with him. What if Barak had simply gone forward at God's word and trusted God to speak, to supply his needs, and to lead him each step of the way?

I know that the Lord purposed to deliver Israel from the hands of King Jabin and Sisera, but what was his purpose for Barak? What did the Lord desire to do in Barak's life and heart? How much faith and trust did God intend to build as Barak followed Him? I've wondered these same things when I look back on my life and see missed opportunities - opportunities to take risks, to be on the edge (just me and the Lord). Barak leading a few tribes of Israel against the 900 chariot force led by Sisera is worthy of our respect. This man was not absent of faith (Hebrews 11:32). I'm simply asking this: how much more did God want to do in his life? More importantly, how much more does God want to do in our lives?

No comments:

Post a Comment