Wednesday, April 29, 2015

April 29

Luke 24

Jesus in Disguise

This passage fascinated me.  After Jesus' death two of His followers were walking from Jerusalem back toward Emmaus when out of nowhere a stranger joins them.  The two men were kept from recognizing it was Jesus (v.16) and the first thing I thought of was "why didn't they recognize who He was".  Probably for the same reason I don't recognize Him during my day - I'm blind.  They were too wrapped up in the moment of the tragedy and retelling the story from their perspective. They weren't looking at the fulfillment of prophesy or the picture of the miracle.  The disciples were counting on Jesus to rescue a nation - they were looking for a king but they couldn't recognize His Kingdom.  Although the disciples were able to recognize superficial signs such as that it was the third day since the events took place, some women went to the tomb but didn't find His body, and there were visions of angels, they were unable to see the thread woven through the Scriptures that shows Jesus - The Messiah - is at the center of it all.  So in His love, grace, kindness and mercy, Jesus breaks it down for them.  "And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, He explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself."(V. 27)   Perhaps He started with Gen. 3:15, and worked His way through Isaiah 53, Jeremiah 31, and a hosts of other passages.  It wasn't until He was at the table with them, gave thanks , broke bread and gave it to them that their "eyes were opened and they recognized Him" (v. 31).  So it just made me think - how closed are my eyes to Jesus appearing to me during the day?  Am I too wrapped up in the ordinary or focused on myself  that I miss the disguise of the Divine?  Am I not recognizing Him when His glory is embedded in what I've come to accept as routine sunshine?  This all made me think of the song "Jesus in Disguise" by Brandon Heath.  I've attached the link to the YouTube video.
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VEyouQhBtY

Lord I pray that you open our eyes, wide as we can to recognize you when you appear to us in disguise.



Randi

No comments:

Post a Comment