Saturday, July 5, 2014

Saturday BlogPost (7/5/14)

Saturday, July 5, 2014 [Seeing vs. Believing]
Psalm 3

It was on a late Saturday afternoon when I asked my pastor and one of the ministers if I could join them on a hospital visit. One of the guys from the congregation was facing the possible amputation of all of his toes on his right foot. I had no idea how to speak to his situation. I was going just to support him and be with these two men of God that I respected a great deal. 

We arrived at the hospital and saw our friend. He was troubled, but calm. As a result of his bout with diabetes, his toes were not getting enough blood flow. He was told that if the situation didn't change over the next 12 hours his doctor would have to amputate. Although he had heard the diagnosis and understood the gravity of the situation, his faith said that the Lord could turn it all around. We prayed and believed that God would restore a healthy blood flow to his toes...and, by His mercy, God did. The surgery was cancelled.

Some people say that "seeing is believing." For my friend in the hospital and David this was not the case. They acknowledged the very visible challenges in their lives (Psalm 3:1-2), but they believed the Lord to be greater than the challenge (Ps. 3:.3-6). They didn't allow what they saw (their circumstances) to be greater than what they believed (the power of God). Instead, what they believed caused them to pray faith-filled and desperate prayers: "Arise, O LORD! Save me, O my God...Salvation belongs to the LORD" (vv. 7-8). What I'm learning is that, for the follower of Jesus, there is a stark difference between what we see and what we believe. A situation that looks impossible is no match for a God who specializes in doing the impossible.

"But Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." (Matthew 19:26)



---------
Kenny Sullivan
soli Deo gloria


No comments:

Post a Comment