Monday, July 14, 2014

July 14: Seriously, God...

1 Chronicles 16:37-18:17
Romans 2:1-24
Psalm 10:16-18
Proverbs 19:8-9

1 Chr 17:16-17 "Then King David went in and sat before the Lord, and he said: 'Who am I, Lord God, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far?  And as if this were not enough in your sight, my God, You have spoken about the future of the house of Your servant.  You Lord God, have looked on me as though I were the most exalted of men."

I have many days when it is difficult to recognize just how true David's prayer was for me as well.  No, I am not a king; I don't live in something like Buckingham Palace, and I don't have chariots and horses and soldiers and an abundance of riches.  But looking past the reality that I have been blessed with much here on earth, what I do have is the burden of sin, that justice dictates deserves only condemnation; and what I do have is a God Who has paid the price for my sins, and taken on the rightful punishment I deserve.  I forget that a lot and yet, in truth, I could be as poor as the untouchables in India, yet still I would have reason pray as David did.  

My friend Chuck once preached a sermon where he brought a really long rope onstage.  He took an inch of that rope and said that that inch was like our life on earth...the rest of the rope, if it went on into eternity, was our life after our time on earth.  I think the analogy is apt here as well - whatever physical or material blessings we might have - someone with good looks, someone with intelligence, someone with wealth, or health, or any combination and permutation thereof...those blessings are that one inch of rope.  God's salvation despite our sinfulness - that is the eternity of blessing.  

As I go to bed tonight, I hope to continue to build an attitude of gratitude.  And I really do have to ask: Seriously, God, who am I and what is my family that you would bring us so far throughout eternity?

No comments:

Post a Comment