Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Tuesday May 27

2 Samuel 12
John 16
Psalm 119:65-80
Proverbs 16:4,5

Saul had a lot of difficulties as king of Israel. Most, if not all, of it was his own doing. Time and time again he refused to follow God's ways. 

David was the next king of Israel and he was off to a much better start. He had a life-long relationship with God. He followed God's commands even when it didn't make sense to anyone else around him. God blessed him and called him a man after His own heart. But David wasn't perfect. Far from it. Yesterday we read how he got involved in one sin after another, from adultery to murder. Today we read how the prophet Nathan confronts him with his sin. I think David's response is the reason that God called him a man after His own heart. It's not that David sinned less that Saul did. David was an imperfect sinful human being just like Saul. The difference was the response. When Saul was confronted with his disobedience, he would make excuses. He would make no attempts to get back on the right path. Here in 2 Samuel 12, we see David fully admit his sin. He doesn't make excuses. He doesn't try to explain himself. He repents and accepts the consequences of his actions. 

Psalm 119:74-77
"May all who fear you find in me a cause for joy,
for I have put my hope in your word.
I know, O Lord, that your regulations are fair;
you disciplined me because I needed it.
Now let your unfailing love comfort me,
just as you promised me, your servant.
Surround me with your tender mercies so I may live,
for your instructions are my delight."

No comments:

Post a Comment