Friday, May 23, 2014

May 23rd

May 23

How can a young person stay pure? By obeying your word. I have tried hard to find you— don't let me wander from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. I praise you, O LORD; teach me your decrees. I have recited aloud all the regulations you have given us. I have rejoiced in your laws as much as in riches. I will study your commandments and reflect on your ways. I will delight in your decrees and not forget your word. (Psalms 119:9-16 NLT)

There are few things that matter more in the Christian life than what David talks about in the beginning stanza of Psalm 119. This verse in particular: "I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you." (Psalm 119:11) Why is memorizing scripture so important? Preparedness. The time will come when you are in a situation where you are down-trodden, or up against a hard situation, and you need the words of Nehemiah 8:10 to be pulled up from you memory banks: "Don't be dejected and sad, for the joy of the LORD is your strength!" Or you might be in a theological discussion with someone who is clearly wrong, and the Holy Spirit prompts you with the words of 2 Timothy 2:15 "Study and be eager and do your utmost to present yourself to God approved (tested by trial), a workman who has no cause to be ashamed, correctly analyzing and accurately dividing [rightly handling and skillfully teaching] the Word of Truth." Scripture is our most powerful tool to get us through this life. We have been given a huge gift to be able to read the words, and study it. Many generations of people before us wish that they had the access that we have. We need to keep the Word of God where we can called it up when needed, and let His word be a lamp to our feet and a light to our path!

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment