Saturday, May 24, 2014

Saturday BlogPost (5/24/14)

Saturday, May 24, 2014 [There's An App For That]

Keep me from deceitful ways; be gracious to me and teach me your law. I have chosen the way of faithfulness; I have set my heart on your laws. I hold fast to your statutes, Lord; do not let me be put to shame. I run in the path of your commands, for you have broadened my understanding. 
(Psalm 119:29-32 NIV)

I have a very high regard for my iPhone. I'm not a big fan of talking on the phone or texting, but I love the idea of apps. I use my iPhone more for its apps than anything else! Apps make life easier. They provide you with the ability and facility of gathering and/or manipulating information at the touch of a button. I don't know, nor am I really interested in knowing, how the apps work. I guess it would be cool to know, but all I really need is for the thing to work and assist me on my daily journey of life.

On the flip-side, I have always wanted to know how the Bible worked. I wanted to know the original languages, the jargon of the ancients, the culture, etc. The knowledge, at one point in my life, was more important to me than the faithful application of the Scriptures to my life.  I could have long discussions about God and His Word without having ever entertained the thought of how I needed to apply it to my life.

"I run in the path of your commands, for you have broadened my understanding" (Ps. 119:32). 

The psalmist was different.  He had found out how critical it was to live the Word such that in his life he "ran" according to its path.  The language and words of Scripture are the "software code."  It's easy to get lost in this.  But, the Truth of Scripture, the Word designed to operate in our lives, was meant to be applied (the app). It was meant to be lived, not just admired. It was meant to be acted out, not just analyzed. Why? Because, if we aren't living the Word we are living "the world."  The Word in action is God's "app" for our lives.  I don't always know how it works.  All I know is that when I press into the truth of the Word and apply it to my life, with God's help, things change - good things happen.

Jesus, You said that Your words were full of the Spirit and of life (Jn 6:63).  Thank You for breathing fresh life into our circumstances and empowering us by Your Spirit as we put Your words into action.  Living Your Word is impossible to do on our own, but with You ALL things are possible.  We love You, Jesus…Amen! 

--
"The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace" (Numbers 6:24-26)
Kenny Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment