Saturday, May 17, 2014

May 18

1 Samuel 23

In our reading today David is protected in a variety of situations. God tells him to leave the city of Keilah just in the nick of time. Then David is just about to be caught in the mountains when the Philistines launch an attack at another city and Saul has to abandon his pursuit. These situations are either totally random coincidences or they are divine appointments; those are the only two choices we have.

This week I kept track of the God Sightings in my life. Here are a few:

1. I pray for safety every time I get on my road bike and Monday my tire blew out. The coincidence is that it blew out going up a hill at 13 mph not coming down the hill at 38 mph.

2. I spent time with my mentor this week and the topic he covered was just the issue I was wrestling with for the future of Grace Church.

3. In preparation for Sunday God gave me insights that I have never seen before in the text. All of this occurred after I prayed and asked for God's help.

4. I sensed God telling me to prepare for the Chinese Bible study with a new strategy. It was wildly successful. 

In the end, either my life has a remarkable number of coincidences occurring or God is active in orchestrating all of the events of my day.

I want to encourage you to live a life of faith in the daily activity of God. We call these activities "God Sightings."  Our challenge is to open our spiritual eyes and ears to his activity, to begin the holy habit of seeing and hearing God in our world, and to live a life of faith that gives credit to Jesus for what others might see as mere coincidence.  This awareness of our Lord's presence is what we all need to rediscover in a culture that denies God's activity. A characteristic of all spiritual awakenings or times of genuine revival is when God's people become aware of his daily presence. May this awakening begin in our lives today.

Lord, I pray that today we would hear your voice and see your hand in all of the events of our day. 



--
"Multiplying leaders to change the world"

No comments:

Post a Comment